[News] VLC 1.0.0 Released, Virtualbox 3.0 Reviewed

VLC: An Excellent Media Player (Finally) Turns 1.0.0

,----[ Quote ]
| VLC media player is an open-source application from VideoLAN that runs on
| Windows, Mac OS and Linux. (For a full list of supported OSes, see VideoLAN’s
| site.) You may not think you need an application to play back videos, with so
| much browser-based content available these days, but downloading VLC is a
| no-brainer if you want to watch any kind of offline content, whether that’s
| stuff you download (legally, ahem, or not) or even DVDs you pop into your
| computer.
`----

http://newteevee.com/2009/07/09/vlc-an-excellent-media-player-finally-turns-1-0-0/

Virtualbox 3.0: Virtualization Brilliance

,----[ Quote ]
| Seemingly out of nowhere, Virtualbox 3.0 was released to the masses recently.
| Since I am already a fan of this software, I decided to give it a shot the
| very same day I was notified of its release. From what I have seen so far,
| not much has actually changed on the surface, though this version has laid
| the groundwork for some amazing things to come later on.
`----

http://www.itnewstoday.com/?p=613

Recent:

VLC Media Player Skins2 Contest announced

,----[ Quote ]
| The VideoLAN Project developers have announced the start of the Skins2
| Contest for the VLC media player. VLC (formerly called VideoLAN Client) is a
| free open source cross-platform multimedia player for various audio and video
| formats. The contest will run until the 29th of May and a public vote will be
| held from the 29th of May to the 1st of June. The VLC developers point out
| that they reserve the right to veto inappropriate submissions.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/VLC-Media-Player-Skins2-Contest-announced--/news/113292

VLC 0.9.9: The best media player just got better

,----[ Quote ]
| If you've yet to try VLC, do so. Whether you just want to play media files or
| also want to convert them, VLC can handle just about anything you throw at
| it. When all other media players fail, whether on Windows, Linux, or the Mac,
| VLC will almost always deliver.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10211388-16.html

VLC. The swiss army knife of video viewing.

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows users are especially familiar with this. You come across a video file
| that you wish to see and click on it. Waiting in anticipation for the visual
| candy to delight your eyes you are disappointed to be greeted with a message
| similar to this. Codec not installed. Often the program offers to search for
| the missing codec and install it for you. Then comes the real heart breaker.
| The codec is not to be found!
`----

http://www.locutus.us/vlc_swiss_army_knife

VLC goes to nine point two

,----[ Quote ]
| Sometimes I get the feeling that I only know about 5% of what VLC can do.
| Everyone knows it's a dependable, free, cross-platform media player. But read
| through the release notes for the latest version, 0.9.2, and you will see a
| dizzying array of server, network streaming, and conversion functions, most
| of which I have never even touched -- and the new VLC exposes a lot more of
| that functionality.
|
| [...]
|
| But even with those quibbles, VLC is easier to use and does a more consistent
| job of exposing its functionality than either MPlayer of Xine. VLC's
| interface does not get in your way, and you do not have to read a tutorial to
| get started with it. It just works. Add to that the fact that VLC is robust
| on all three major desktop OSes, and you have a winner.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/148944

Slick VLC Media Player Out In a New Version

,----[ Quote ]
| In the new version, VLC Media Player remains small and lightweight enough to
| carry on a USB thumb drive. There is a full features list for every supported
| platform here. Under input formats and decoders on the list, you can get a
| good sense of the vast number of formats that VLC Media Player supports,
| inlcuding many that proprietary players don't support. (The Ogg format is
| supported.)
`----

http://ostatic.com/173286-blog/slick-vlc-media-player-out-in-a-new-version

VLC gets a new look on Windows and Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.heise-online.co.uk/news/VLC-gets-a-new-look-on-Windows-and-Linux--/111527