[News] Review of the Latest CrunchBang GNU/Linux (9.04.01)

CrunchBang Linux 9.04.01

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite the differences in desktop appearance between regular Ubuntu and
| CrunchBang or even Linux Mint and CrunchBang, CrunchBang is still Ubuntu. So
| you get all of the advantages of Ubuntu but just without the desktop bloat of
| KDE or Gnome.
|
| Installing it is no more difficult than installing any other version of
| Ubuntu. My install took just a few minutes and I had no problems with it.
`----

http://desktoplinuxreviews.com/2009/07/10/crunchbang-linux-9-04-01/

Recent:

#! CrunchBang Linux Review

,----[ Quote ]
| I recently decided to try out CrunchBang Linux. The lightweight, Ubuntu based
| Linux distribution although lacking some of the features of a modern GNOME or
| KDE desktop still stuns.
|
| [...]
|
| Default Applications. This distribution has some of the best preinstalled
| software installed. Gwibber, Skype…the list goes on. Although some
| applications have been replaced by lightweight alternatives: Evolution with
| ClawsMail, OpenOffice Writer with ABIWord… the choices are reasonable for a
| desktop that is designed to be lightweight. Likewise, there are some great
| oddities in the “Terminal Apps” section: everything from web browser to
| torrent client can be accomplished through the CLI and that will surely speak
| to the inner geek . Oh and did I mention Flash and other restricted formats
| are enabled by default.
`----

http://www.threeblackdots.info/?p=18

CrunchBang Linux Review

,----[ Quote ]
| This distro happens to be what I'm running right now i went through dozens of
| other distributions to find one that is easy to use and that suits my
| multimedia needs. Crunchbang plays all of my music, movies, pdf's, word
| documents.... you get the point. I would definatley recommend  this distro
| for any one thats looking for something that has many powerful multimedia
| tools right out of the box.
`----

http://beastlytech.com/20090418100/Articles/Linux/cristian.html

CrunchBang Linux 8.10

,----[ Quote ]
| CrunchBang Linux (#!) is a lightweight Ubuntu-based distribution featuring
| the OpenBox window manager and Conky system monitor. The distribution is
| essentially a minimal Ubuntu install with a custom set of installed packages,
| and it has been designed to offer a balance between speed and functionality.
| The light system requirements suggest that CrunchBang Linux is a perfect
| match for an outdated computer or a netbook. With this in mind, your author
| tested CrunchBang Linux 8.10.02 on an Acer Aspire One with a 8 GB SSD and 512
| MB RAM. Since the RAM is on the low end, this puts to the test how
| lightweight CrunchBang Linux really is.
|
| [...]
|
| If you are looking for an easy-to-use and lightweight Linux distribution,
| CrunchBang Linux should definitely be considered. The combination of the
| OpenBox window manager and Conky system monitor with an Ubuntu base and a
| carefully chosen set of lightweight applications makes it unique. With
| CrunchBang Linux, you can revive an updated computer or let your netbook
| shine. Moreover, the huge set of available Ubuntu documentation also applies
| for this distribution. This makes it easy for Ubuntu users to migrate to
| CrunchBang Linux, while still having the advantages of the huge Ubuntu
| community.
`----

http://lwn.net/Articles/320950/

Review: Crunch Bang Linux 8.10

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, I’m going to leave Crunch Bang Linux on my laptop.  My first real test
| will be when I travel in a few weeks - as that’s usually the time I use my
| laptop.  I’ll probably be using it to watch videos or play games.  At that
| time I’ll know if Crunch Bang can meet my needs or if I need to go back to
| Ubuntu.  If I go back to Ubuntu I’ll be sure to blog about it.  I intend to
| blog about my feelings of Crunch Bang, Conky, and Gwibber after an extended
| use, but I can’t guarantee I’ll get around to it - especially if there’s
| nothing extraordinary to report.  In that sense - no news is good news.
`----

http://server.ericsbinaryworld.com/blog/2009/02/24/review-crunch-bang-linux-810/

CrunchBang is a Speedy, Dark-Themed Linux Desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| CrunchBang, an Ubuntu-based Linux distribution that sports a snappy, low-drag
| interface and is perfect for thumb drives, live CDs, or speed-obsessed Linux
| fans. Check out how it looks and runs in our screenshot tour.
|
| Getting started is pretty simple. Head to CrunchBang's main site, find the
| Download section, and grab the main ISO file (from BitTorrent or directly).
| You can burn it to CD/DVD, load it as a virtual system in VirtualBox/VMWare,
| or install it on a flash drive with UNetbootin. Put your CD or USB drive into
| your system, or boot your virtualization tool, and hit Enter at the boot
| prompt to load the live session of CrunchBang.
`----

http://lifehacker.com/5140086/crunchbang-is-a-speedy-dark+themed-linux-desktop

Linux Distro Review - #! CrunchBang 8.10

,----[ Quote ]
| #!CrunchBang is a very interesting operating system, suitable for all those
| who want to easily install a Linux system, but they do not want to spend time
| with frills graphics. Definitely a "substantial" Linux distro!
| Once installed, CrunchBang is a system with a surprisingly fastness.
| Applications instantly run and the system isn't stressed by heavy apps like
| movie player or music player or graphical editors.
| This operating system is very suitable for those thet want to rescue an old
| computer, but still be modern and up to date.
`----

http://linux-hardcore.com/index.php?topic=1916.msg11888#msg11888

It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's Super Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| We are pleased to announce yet another Ubuntu-based Linux
| distribution, this time... with "super powers," called
| Super Ubuntu. The "super powers" of Super Ubuntu can be
| translated into the inclusion of applications, tools and
| technologies that are missing from a standard Ubuntu 8.10
| (Intrepid Ibex) installation. Among the applications
| included in Super Ubuntu 2008.11 we can notice the powerful
| and ever-popular OpenOffice.org 3.0 open source office
| suite with support for Microsoft's Office 2007 file
| formats; MPlayer, the number one video player for Linux
| systems, which includes support for DVD playback and most
| of today's video and audio formats; Wine and Wine-Doors,
| two amazing apps that allow users to use Microsoft Windows
| applications in a Linux environment; support for portable
| applications with the SFS technology and Zero Install.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/It-039-s-a-Bird-It-039-s-a-Plane-It-039-s-Super-Ubuntu-101085.shtml

CrunchBang Linux Review : Dark, Evil, and it has the Mark of The Beast

,----[ Quote ]
| The minimal configuration is great if you have an older
| machine you would like to revive. And unlike other mini
| distributions, it comes shipped with a ton of software so
| chances are you won’t have to go searching for too many
| packages once installed. With the GIMP, Inkscape, PiTiVi,
| Kino, recordMyDesktop and Audacity they already have a lot
| of tools for creative types. If you find anything missing
| you can find it quickly using the large Ubuntu
| repositories. What I like most about this distribution is
| that it showcases the combination of Conky and OpenBox, two
| projects that look really good together.
`----

http://www.penguinway.net/?p=346

Playing With CrunchBang Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| CrunchBang Linux is a new(ish) Ubuntu derivative designed to offer a “good
| balance of speed and functionality”. Its first release was based on Hardy in
| April and has just been updated for Intrepid. I’ve been meaning to try it for
| a couple of weeks, but in between Exams and playing about with Fedora 10, I
| haven’t really had an opportunity. A great opportunity to try it out arose
| today when dpkg completely failed and refused to do anything (Do not run
| update-manager, watch an HD video, unrar a massive rarchive and encoded a DVD
| at the same time, your desktop will lock and dpkg will cry whenever you try
| to do anything with it). Not really fancying yet another Intrepid reinstall,
| I thought I’d give CrunchBang a try.
`----

http://bobbo.me.uk/index.php/playing-with-crunchbang-linux/

#!CrunchBang Linux: Flash! Bang! Wallop! What A Distro!

,----[ Quote ]
| The final thing I would like to remark on is the blazing speed of CB: The
| Openbox desktop loads in 3 seconds - honestly - and applications are not far
| behind, either loaded via the right-click menu or via the shortcut key
| combinations.
|
| It's a very stable distribution, too, which you would expect with its
| heritage but remember - this is also a very young distribution, so kudos to
| Philip Newborough for that.
|
| I would be happy to run CB on a production machine - that's the confidence an
| Ubuntu base system brings, I suppose - and shall certainly be keeping a close
| eye on this exciting young distribution in the future. I happily recommend it
| to you.
`----

http://reddevil62-techhead.blogspot.com/2008/11/crunchbang-linux-flash-bang-wallop-what.html

Review: Crunchbang Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| All Windows Media, Quicktime *.mov, *.mp4, and Flash *.swf, *.flv files
| played without problem. I did note that Totem video frame transitions seemed
| a little lower quality than the TinyXS's mPlayer video, but the embedded
| Totem *.wmv videos loaded faster and with fewer hiccups than with the mPlayer
| plugin.
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=497

CrunchBang Linux 8.10.01 — Testing

,----[ Quote ]
| I had some spare time on my hands last weekend, so I set about putting
| together a new release of CrunchBang Linux. As the numbering suggests,
| CrunchBang Linux 8.10.01 is based on Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex sources.
`----

http://crunchbang.org/archives/2008/11/19/crunchbang-linux-8-dot-10-dot-01-testing/

CrunchBang Linux 8.04.02 Release Notes

,----[ Quote ]
| I have released a couple of new images for my CrunchBang Linux project. This
| new release brings CrunchBang Linux up-to-date with packages available from
| the 8.04.01 point release of Ubuntu. The new images have been completely
| rebuilt from scratch and feature a whole bunch of changes.
`----

http://crunchbang.org/archives/2008/07/25/crunchbang-linux-8-dot-04-dot-02-release-notes/

CrunchBang Linux 8.04.01 Release Notes

,----[ Quote ]
| This is the third release of CrunchBang Linux. This release is based on the
| current development version of Ubuntu, "Hardy Heron". As with the previous
| releases, I have developed CrunchBang Linux for personal use; however, I have
| released it as a download on the off chance that others may find it useful.
`----

http://crunchbang.org/archives/2008/04/08/crunchbang-linux-8-dot-04-dot-01-release-notes/

Related:

CrunchBang Linux 7.10.02 Release Notes

| I've released another version of CrunchBang Linux, my remastered version of
| Ubuntu featuring the lightweight Openbox window manager. Version 7.10.02 is
| the version that was never meant to be; however, as soon as people started
| downloading and using the original [I'm still finding it hard to believe that
| anyone would actually do that] I realised I'd better try to clean up the
| distribution and start to attempt to fix any issues/problems.
`----

http://crunchbang.org/archives/2008/02/24/crunchbang-linux-7-dot-10-dot-02-release-notes/

First look: CrunchBang - A faster Ubuntu! - Fast and furious Ubuntu for geeks!

,----[ Quote ]
| CrunchBang is a fast and good looking Ubuntu remaster. It
| includes a lot of useful tools, scripts and applications. Give it a try!
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/First-look-CrunchBang-A-faster-Ubuntu-77535.shtml

CrunchBang Linux 8.10.01 released

,----[ Quote ]