[News] FOSS People in New Zealand File to Block Software Patents [PDF]

Submission on Software Patents

http://nzoss.org.nz/system/files/PatentBillSubmission.pdf

Recent:

URGENT: Unlimited Software Patents In New Zealand. Act Now!

,----[ Quote ]
| Logo of End Software Patents website
|
| NZ government is about to pass a new Patents Act.  In the 8-year review, they
| seemingly forgot to consider the impacts of patents on computer software!
| Submissions on the bill are being accepted till 2 July, so we need to move
| fast.
`----

http://civicactions.com/blog/2009/jun/22/urgent_unlimited_software_patents_new_zealand_act_now

Open source activists target software patents

,----[ Quote ]
| Open-source champions are pushing to eliminate software patents from New
| Zealand through a Patents Bill now at the select committee stage in
| Parliament.
|
| Such patents have been accepted by default for many years, but this is
| damaging to the software industry, which subsists to a great extent on
| adapting and including the ideas of previous inventors, says New Zealand Open
| Source Society president Don Christie.
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/devt/84239C76EEE24D1BCC2575DC006BFFC1

Imminent threat of software patents in New Zealand

,----[ Quote ]
| The director of the End Software Patents campaign Ciaran O'Riordan writes to
| warn of an imminent threat of software patents in New Zealand...
`----

http://coffee.geek.nz/node/23026

Software patents – unwelcome and unwanted

,----[ Quote ]
| Software patents are not currently available in New Zealand, although several
| companies have tried to get “by the back door”, i.e. by tying the software
| idea they want to patent to some piece of hardware.
|
| A software patent is a state-enforced monopoly on a idea. They exist in the
| US and some other countries, but not in many places including New Zealand. We
| don’t need or want them here. If you want some reasons, here are five good
| ones:
`----

http://it.gen.nz/2009/06/19/software-patents-unwelcome-and-unwanted/

New Zealand Denies It's Scrapping Copyright Laws

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite widespread reports last week that New Zealand was going to scrap its
| copyright laws, and start from scratch, Tom Rix writes in to point out that
| New Zealand officials are now denying this report and saying they're still
| working on a new version of the copyright amendment that was a source of
| tremendous controversy recently.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090504/0440064740.shtml

Entire Copyright Act to be scrapped