[News] GitX 0.0.4 Released

GitX Clone Gitg Moves to 0.0.4

,----[ Quote ]
| The young Gitg project, which visualizes a graphical representation of git
| data for Mac OS X under Gtk+/GNOME, allows check-ins and merges in its newest
| release 0.0.4, among other things.
`----

http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/Online/News/GitX-Clone-Gitg-Moves-to-0.0.4

Recent:

Open-sourcers get with the git

,----[ Quote ]
| There was a time when the Linux community used BitKeeper as its source code
| control system, after switching from the open-source CVS. But then Samba
| developer Andrew Tridgell figured out you could telnet to a BitKeeper server,
| type "HELP," and get a list of commands. Upon hearing of Tridgell's daring
| hack, BitMover - the company that maintains BitKeeper - got all
| license-revokey on the community, changing the terms of the agreement and
| demanding that Linux developers start paying for its software.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/01/21/git_gaining_ground/

DVCS Round-Up: One System to Rule Them All?--Part 1

,----[ Quote ]
| In 2002, Linus Torvalds caved in to the pressure from the community to
| finally adopt some sort of source control mechanism for the Linux kernel.
| Since the existing alternatives (namely CVS and SVN) did not fit his
| requirements, Torvalds finally settled on a closed source solution: BitKeeper
| by BitMover Inc. This decision was controversial at best, and many argued
| that BitKeeper's advantages were not worth the risk of becoming dependent on
| a piece of closed source software. Notable criticism came from GNU founder
| Richard Stallman, arguing that especially a flagship project like Linux
| should avoid using proprietary tools. However, Torvalds did not give in,
| essentially asserting that he would use either BitKeeper or no source control
| at all.
`----

http://ldn.linuxfoundation.org/article/dvcs-round-one-system-rule-them-all-part-1

[ANNOUNCE] GIT 1.6.0

,----[ Quoye ]
| The latest feature release GIT 1.6.0 is available at the usual places...
`----

http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/8/17/174

GitHub unites Version Control with the Pastie

,----[ Quote ]
| What does this mean for pastie users? Each pastie, or gist, is its own Git
| repository. By placing pasties inside a git repository, GitHub is able to
| redefine how pasties work.
|
| [...]
|
| Even though GitHub is only about eight months old, they already host just
| over 10,000 open source projects. More importantly, they are already
| profitable with paying customers for their private repository hosting service
| numbering in the thousands.
`----

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/22/AR2008072200368.html

Git Spawns a Business

,----[ Quote ]
| The up-and-coming version control system git has begun to prove its mettle
| outside of Linux kernel development. The Ruby on Rails community has embraced
| it wholeheartedly with many core projects migrating to the system recently.
| The climate has become right for businesses to spring up in the wake of this
| adoption.
`----

http://ostatic.com/163028-blog/git-spawns-a-business#rss

Git Gets Down to Business

,----[ Quote ]
| That is, not content with helping to create an entire GNU/Linux industry,
| Torvalds has now spawned another business sector with Git. Truly, this man is
| working towards world domination.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=831&blogid=14

Git to Manage Android Code

,----[ Quote ]
| Git is an open source version control system designed to handle very large
| projects with speed and efficiency, but it’s also suited for small personal
| repositories; it is especially popular in the open source community, serving
| as a development platform for projects like the Linux Kernel, WINE or X.org.
`----

http://androidguys.com/2008/05/26/git-to-manage-android-code/

Git is the next Unix

,----[ Quote ]
| Much like Unix itself, git's actual software doesn't matter; it's the file
| format, the concepts, that change everything.
|
| Whether they're called git or not, some amazing things will come of this.
`----

http://www.advogato.org/person/apenwarr/diary/371.html

GIT 1.5.4, "An Unusually Long Cycle"

,----[ Quote ]
| "The latest feature release GIT 1.5.4 is available at the usual places,"
| began Git maintainer Junio Hamano. He continued, "it has been an unusually
| long cycle. 5 months since the last feature release 1.5.3 was really a bit
| too long. But I hope it was worth waiting for. Thanks everybody for working
| hard to improve it." He noted that there were 165 contributers resulting in
| 684 changed files, included 70,435 insertions and 28,984 deletions.
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/GIT_1.5.4_An_Unusually_Long_Cycle

Related:

Linux: Graphical Git Statistics