[News] Palm Pre Plays Nice with GNU/Linux Desktops

Palm Pre Dances Nicely with Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Fortunately, there are options that work quite well on most mainstream Linux
| distributions. Rhythmbox is the default music player for Ubuntu, and it
| recognizes the Palm Pre as a music device.
`----

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/6791/1/

Recent:

Palm Pre sold 300,000 in June

,----[ Quote ]
| THE PALM PRE smartphone seems to be selling very well, according to Charter
| Equity Research.
|
| By ringing up a few of its mates in the channel, the analyst outfit has
| worked out that sales into the channel in June were more than 300,000 units.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1432082/palm-pre-sold-300-june

Palm Pre: The official Cool Tools review

,----[ Quote ]
| What it is: The touchscreen Pre is Palm's latest entrant into the smartphone
| market, and includes all of the features users would expect from today's
| smartphones: a compact size, e-mail access (including Exchange), Web browser,
| multimedia (music and videos) player, digital camera, embedded GPS and the
| ability to download new applications directly through an app store.
| Differences from the iPhone include a physical slide-out QWERTY keyboard, and
| the ability to keep multiple applications open simultaneously.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9134498

More Pre Hacks and Inner Details Revealed

,----[ Quote ]
| PIC: This means use of the Pre as a full-fledged Linux computer is/will be
| quite doable - and it won't interfere with the built-in Palm stuff?
|
| RW: Correct. Exactly that.
`----

http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/9834/more-pre-hacks-and-inner-details-revealed/

Native Linux Nintendo Emulation for Palm Pre

,----[ Quote ]
| It seems that some more details on the capabilities of the newly launched
| Palm Pre and on its webOS platform have made it into the wild, and among them
| the fact that the handset can easily run unsigned firmware, a piece of
| information coming from the iPhone developer Steven Troughton-Smith. A wide
| range of other things that the handset is capable of have made it into the
| wild as well, though it seems that some hacking skills are required to be
| able to access some of them.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Native-Linux-Nintendo-Emulation-for-Palm-Pre-114223.shtml

Palm Pre is shipping GPL incompliant

,----[ Quote ]
| As it has been reported at many places online, the Palm Pre has started to
| ship as a CDMA model in the United States. However, as it seems, at this time
| it is not GPL compliant and thus a copyright infringement!
|
| The Pre undoubtedly contains Linux and other GPL licensed software. So it
| ships with the GPL license text as well as a written offer indicating to
| obtain the source code. So far so good.
`----

http://laforge.gnumonks.org/weblog/2009/06/11/#20090611-palm_pre-gpl_incompliance

Dell Ready to Deal for Palm?

,----[ Quote ]
| Michael Dell has a few bucks burning a hole in his pocket. But is a company
| hanging on by one product the best place for his money?
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/mobility/article.php/3824941

A New Hope For Smartphones

,----[ Quote ]
| The Pre's system software, based on the open-source Linux operating system,
| stayed responsive most of the time, although music playback stuttered once as
| I launched its camera program. Once the Pre's working memory fills up, it
| won't let you run any more programs but will advise, "Dismiss unused cards to
| free memory."
`----

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/12/AR2009061201164.html

How Palm Designed The Pre

,----[ Quote ]
| Perched on Peter Skillman's desk for the past year has been a white ostrich
| egg, about as long as a DVD case. It is a talisman for Skillman, vice
| president of design at Palm: the inspiration for a novel smart phone, the
| Pre, slated to be available in early June. It hints at the phoenixlike
| rebirth Palm hopes to achieve in the smart phone business.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/free_forbes/2009/0622/smart-phones-blackberry-how-palm-designed-pre.html?partner=yahoomag

Pre proves a worthy smartphone competitor

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2446270c-51f9-11de-b986-00144feabdc0,Authorised=false.html?_i_location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ft.com%2Fcms%2Fs%2F0%2F2446270c-51f9-11de-b986-00144feabdc0.html%3Freferrer_id%3Dyahoofinance%26ft_ref%3Dyahoo1%26segid%3D03058&ft_ref=yahoo1&segid=03058&referrer_id=yahoofinance&_i_referer=

The Palm Pre takes Manhattan

http://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2009/06/05/the-palm-pre-takes-manhattan/?source=yahoo_quote

In Hindsight: Palm Pre or new iPhone? Read the fine print

,----[ Quote ]
| It happens every year: Programmers and other Apple fans gather for the
| Cupertino iPhone, iPod and "I'm a Mac" computer maker's Worldwide Developers
| Conference* (*WWDC to its friends). Conspicuously absent from the event was
| CEO Steve Jobs. (The Apple rumor mill had raised the prospect of a cameo
| appearance from Jobs, even though his medical leave is scheduled to last
| until the end of the month.)
`----

http://www.mercurynews.com/businessbreakingnews/ci_12577812?nclick_check=1

Palm Pre Is Beautiful to See and Use, Says eWEEK Labs

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-Wireless/Palm-Pre-Is-Beautiful-To-Look-At-and-Use-Says-eWEEK-Labs-269046/

Palm's Linux phone "exceptional," says reviewer

,----[ Quote ]
| The reviews appear to be largely positive for the Palm Pre, with eWEEK
| lauding its "exceptional design, aesthetics and usability." Both the
| smartphone and the Linux-based WebOS stack live up to their billing for ease
| of use, but battery life is a problem, says eWEEK.
`----

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS3895563838.html?kc=rss

Ars Reviews the Palm Pre, part 1: the BlackBerry killer

,----[ Quote ]
| Most of the gadget press is obsessing over whether the Palm Pre is an iPhone
| killer, but they're asking the wrong question. We've been testing one for the
| past few days, and it's clear to us that the real target of Palm's new phone
| is the BlackBerry. Here's how Palm will use the webOS to tackle the
| enterprise market.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2009/06/ars-reviews-the-palm-pre-part-1-the-blackberry-killer.ars

Palm Pre runs Doom, smartphone-loving space marines rejoice

,----[ Quote ]
| If you were holding off on buying a Pre until it had some great games, start
| warming up that credit card. We knew homebrewers were already at work and one
| of those, a bloke who goes by the name Sargun, has managed to get the iconic
| Doom running on the phone -- or the open-source PRDoom, anyway, which is
| close enough for us.
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/12/palm-pre-runs-doom-smartphone-loving-space-marines-rejoyce/

My top 5 wish list for the Palm Pre

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10262767-1.html

Is our love for Palm clouding our Pre judgement?

http://blogs.zdnet.com/cell-phones/?p=1406

Palm Centro and Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The verdict is... It works BEAUTIFULLY. The 650 would usually hang up and not
| always finish the sync. The Centro usually thoroughly syncs. Also, the 650
| would not always sync. It only seemed to want to sync when there was new
| information. The Centro will sync every time you hit the button.
`----

http://www.lawofficelinux.com/2009/06/palm-centro-and-linux.html

Palm Pre

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm impressed. There's a few rough edges and some obvious short-term hacks,
| but overall the Pre has the appearance of being a well-engineered
| distribution. It's recognisably Linux in a way the Android isn't. Since it
| seems to be possible to gain root by entering the developer mode, I suspect
| that modifying the firmware image isn't especially difficult. It'll be
| interesting to see what happens when GSM ones appear.
`----

http://mjg59.livejournal.com/111453.html

Palm Pre breaks Sprint sales records

,----[ Quote ]
| The Wall Street Journal cites one such analyst who pegs the sales figures at
| somewhere between 50,000 and 100,000 units sold. Meanwhile, a J.P. Morgan
| report estimates more than 50,000 units were punted in the first two days.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/09/palm_pre_debut_sales_speculation/

Palm's Linux smartphone debuts

,----[ Quote ]