Re: [News] DebConf9 is Coming, Debian Gets Globus Grid

  • Subject: Re: [News] DebConf9 is Coming, Debian Gets Globus Grid
  • From: wispygalaxy <wispygalaxy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 17:55:23 -0400
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> DebConf 9 to take place in Extremadura, Spain in July 2009
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Cáceres, Extremadura, Spain, 12 December 2008 - The Debian Project, the
> | team behind the free Debian GNU/Linux operating system, confirmed the
> | dates and venue for its next annual conference, DebConf 9.
> `----
>
> http://www.debian.org/News/2008/20081212

Ohhhhh, I can't make it even though I'm going to be in Europe that week (in
Germany).  I'd really love to go, and I can speak the language, too...

> Deploying KDE [on Debian GNU/Linux] to 52 million young people
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | By the end of this year 29,000 labs serving some 32,000,000 students
> | will be fully deployed and in active use.
> |
> | By the end of next year (2009) those numbers will have swelled to 53,000
> | labs serving some 52,000,000 students.
> `----
>
> http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2008/04/deploying-kde-to-52-million-young.html

There's something about the Debian/KDE combo that is so appealing to young
people, such as myself.

It's nice to see these youths embrace FOSS.  Hopefully, there will be plenty
of new developers in the years to come.