[News] Monopolists Have Internet Turn Darker and Turn Back on Standards

No mandatory audio and video codecs in HTML 5

,----[ Quote ]
| Ian Hickson, a Google employee involved in Google's work with the W3C and
| responsible for editing the forthcoming HTML 5 specification, has made a
| clean break with years of discussion regarding mandatory audio/video codecs
| in HTML 5. In a post on the WHATWG mailing list he says that, following
| endless public and private discussions, he has come to the conclusion that no
| codecs are likely to attract a consensus among the members of the Web
| Hypertext Application Technology Working Group (WHATWG) for integration into
| their browsers.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/141646

XHTML 2 to be discontinued

,----[ Quote ]
| It was supposed to be the biggest reform project in the history of the W3C.
| Yesterday, however, the web standardisation committee pulled the plug on
| XHTML 2, a project that had been on the road to disaster for years. According
| to the development schedule, the XHTML2 Working Group charter expires at the
| end of the year and will not be extended.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/141645

Recent:

Google Considerations: OGG Theora or H.264?

,----[ Quote ]
| An employee of Google has expressed himself regarding the disadvantages of
| OGG Theora in comparison with H.264 in a discussion on the mailing list of
| the web hypertext application technology working group.
`----

http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/online/news/google_considerations_ogg_theora_or_h_264

an update on open video codecs and quality

,----[ Quote ]
| Two days ago we posted a comparison by Greg Maxwell of low and medium
| resolution YouTube videos vs. Theora counterparts at the same bit rates. The
| result in that test was that Theora did much better at the low bit rate and
| more or less the same at the slightly higher bit rate. The conclusion being
| that Theora is perfectly appropriate for a site like YouTube.
`----

http://hacks.mozilla.org/2009/06/update-on-open-video-quality/

Fwd: [theora] Safari 4 Plays Theora/Vorbis

http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.evangelism/browse_thread/thread/b4b6017edc1c27f1#

Firefox 3.5 Preview Shows New Hope For Open Media Standards

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://digg.com/d1tnRQ?t