[News] Review of the Latest Ubuntu GNU/Linux (Better Than Microsoft 7apourware)

Ubuntu 9.04 review

,----[ Quote ]
| Why wait for Windows 7? Ubuntu is ready to take over the world right now
`----

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/software/operating-systems/ubuntu-9-04-jaunty-jackelope--600356/review

Every rig I throw a Linux Live CD at works perfectly without tweaking. It would
take exceptional gear to prove otherwise.

Why Ubuntu has become the flag bearer for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| It's easy to argue that Ubuntu's success is because there's an unlimited
| supply of investment from its super-rich parent company, Canonical. But Linux
| isn't like any ordinary software stack.
`----

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/why-ubuntu-has-become-the-flag-bearer-for-linux-612678

Canonical Delves Deeper into the Cloud – Launches Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud
Services

,----[ Quote ]
| Canonical, the founder of the Ubuntu project, today launched new professional
| services to help and support users building 'private clouds', cloud
| infrastructures behind a corporate firewall.
|
| The move follows the technical preview in April of Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud
| (UEC), an open-source system that enables organisations to build their own
| clouds that match the interface of Amazon EC2. UEC is now available as part
| of the Ubuntu Server Edition technology stack.
`----

http://www.ubuntu.com/news/canonical-launches-enterprise-cloud-service

Recent:

Ubuntu 9.04: The official review

,----[ Quote ]
| I could easily draw a conclusion here. I could say 9.04 is an outstanding
| release for Ubuntu that offers something very positive for every level of
| user. That is my experience. From the testing I have done, this release is
| one finest releases Ubuntu has given us yet. It does have some room for
| improvement, but it does excite me to think that if this is where Linux is
| heading, the competition better be aware.
`----

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/opensource/?p=603

Running Ubuntu 9.04 With Older Hardware

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu 9.04 had booted significantly faster than Ubuntu 8.10, but when it
| came to the desktop performance with this VIA Nehemiah system with 512MB of
| system memory, the performance was close between the two most recent Ubuntu
| releases. In several tests Ubuntu 8.10 was faster than Ubuntu 9.04, but the
| leads were very small and would likely go unnoticed by the desktop user. At
| least though the Ubuntu 9.04 desktop remains usable when using this
| antiquated hardware. The only tests where there was a noticeable difference
| was when testing the disk with IOzone, where Ubuntu 9.04 had delivered better
| read and write performance.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_904_old&num=1

I Had a Dell Recall Battery? An Ubuntu 9.04 Feature Told Me So.

,----[ Quote ]
| This might be another good reason to install Ubuntu 9.04:
|
| Information from Ubuntu that My Battery is under recall
|
| I looked at the battery, then called up the Dell recall list. Sure enough -
| that battery was listed. Interestingly enough, I’ve had this D600 for a while
| now and there has been no problems up until a week ago when the battery
| wouldn’t take a charge. Since I usually have this machine plugged in, I never
| thought twice about it.
`----

http://www.geeknewscentral.com/2009/05/07/i-had-a-dell-recall-battery-an-ubuntu-904-feature-told-me-so/

A Look at Ubuntu 9.04 "Jaunty Jackalope"

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu is definately on right course and given proper oppurtunity(in forms of
| OEM adopting it) we will definitely see more and more people chosing Ubuntu
| as their primary desktop operating system.A Look at Ubuntu 9.04 "Jaunty
| Jackalope"
`----

http://linuxondesktop.blogspot.com/2009/05/look-at-ubuntu-904-jaunty-jackalope.html

Turbo Ubuntu Redux

,----[ Quote ]
| Mostly. The GNOME desktop makes it easy to navigate Ubuntu via a GUI
| interface and navigate the basics of the OS.
|
| Of course, a weekend warrior's use of the new Ubuntu does not an advanced and
| lethal Linux Navy Seal make, so take my experience with a grain of salt.
`----

http://www.internetevolution.com/author.asp?section_id=587&doc_id=176288

Ubuntu 9.04 on an 8510p Compaq Laptop

,----[ Quote ]
| Have been using Linux on and off since early Slackware days, and Ubuntu since
| its first public debut too, and I must say, for an out of the box desktop
| setup/experience, Ubuntu 9.04 is pretty slick.
`----

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/tonyhughes/6476

Open, Free, Functional, and Wrapped In a Strong Sense of Self

,----[ Quote ]
| Over at the Lynx blog, Dougie Richardson cast his vote for the best comment
| made during the course of Ubuntu's Open Week. While his choice might be
| completely subjective, there is no denying that Mark Shuttleworth's response
| when asked whether WINE (in its own right, or as a general synonym for
| Windows compatibility) or native Linux ports were more important to Ubuntu's
| success was thought provoking.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/open-free-functional-and-wrapped-in-a-strong-sense-of-self

Inside Ubuntu 9.04

,----[ Quote ]
| If you have an existing collection of music files -- as in, MP3s -- be warned
| that MP3 playback is not installed by default in Ubuntu. It has to be added
| after the fact, since shipping the OS with MP3 codecs might run afoul of
| patent issues in some countries. The good news: if you try to play just such
| a file, Ubuntu will attempt to automatically detect what's being played and
| offer to install the components needed.
|
| The same goes for Flash support -- nobody likes being stuck without their
| favorite YouTube videos! Click on a page that requires Flash in Firefox, and
| you'll get a prompt at the top to install the needed plug-ins. Use
| the "Gnash" plug-in to get Flash going (be sure to restart Firefox after you
| install it), and for certain Flash-embedded videos that require multimedia
| codecs, you'll be prompted to add the needed codecs in the same manner as
| when you try to play MP3s. Finally, you might need to restart any program
| that depends on such codecs after they're installed, or they may not
| recognize that anything's changed.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/software/linux/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=217200717&subSection=News

Ubuntu 9.04: A Social Event

,----[ Quote ]
| The release of Jaunty Jackalope (Ubuntu 9.04) on April 23 might have been the
| most celebrated open source operating system release to date — with 110
| release parties taking place across the globe. But here’s the twist: This
| wasn’t the result of a corporate PR machine. Instead, the parties involved
| the efforts of individual Ubuntu community members.
`----

http://www.workswithu.com/2009/05/01/ubuntu-904-a-social-event/

10 reasons you'll want to install Ubuntu 9.04

,----[ Quote ]
| 1: Ext 4 file system
|
| [...]
|
| 2: GNOME 2.26.1
|
| [...]
|
| 3: Speed
|
| [...]
|
| 4: Cleanup Janitor
|
| [...]
|
| 5: Nautilus encryption
|
| [...]
|
| 6: Xorg 1.6
`----

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/10things/?p=707

Ubuntu, Now More Popular than Windows XP!

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu has finally eclipsed Windows XP in terms of popularity. --That is
| according to the most recent data from Google Trends.
`----

http://www.junauza.com/2009/04/ubuntu-now-more-popular-than-windows-xp.html

Has Ubuntu Reached the End Of the Line?

,----[ Quote ]