[News] [Rival] SFLC, Majority and People (Poll) and Others Say "No" to Mono

Home [ade] cookies

,----[ Quote ]
| There have been two posts about C# and mono on PlanetKDE this week (e.g.
| Richard and Andreas). The comments on Andreas’ entry are quite cogent, as are
| those replying to Richard, but it deserves a wider audience. As far as asking
| RMS at Gran Canaria this weekend, it’s worth a shot if you abstract the
| question away from specifically-C# and specifically-mono.
|
| [...]
|
| This isn’t to say there’s not other submarines in the water. We don’t know.
| Maybe we should. The known submarine should be treated with caution. And the
| side of caution is to treat C# as a non-Free platform to be avoided.
`----

http://blogs.fsfe.org/adridg/?p=157

MonoSpace Conference Announced

http://tirania.org/blog/archive/2009/Jun-30-1.html

Organised by a Microsoft MVP (no, not Miguel).

5 easy steps to flip a burger, 1 easy step to eat it

,----[ Quote ]
| Pressure Novell and Microsoft (as some of you work in both the companies) to
| change the agreement to look like this:
|
|     Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, Google and its
|     affiliates hereby grant to you a perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive,
|     no-charge, royalty-free, irrevocable (except as stated in this License)
|     patent license for patents necessarily infringed by implementation of
|     this specification. If you institute patent litigation against any entity
|     (including a cross-claim or counterclaim in a lawsuit) alleging that the
|     implementation of the specification constitutes direct or contributory
|     patent infringement, then any patent licenses for the specification
|     granted to you under this License shall terminate as of the date such
|     litigation is filed.
|
| Is that easy. Everybody wins. Even Microsoft.
|
| If you don’t, don’t expect concerns to go away anytime soon.
`----

http://www.stefanoforenza.com/5-easy-steps-to-flip-a-burger-1-easy-step-to-eat-it/

Will Stallman C# warning fall flat?

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=4445

,----[ Quote ]
| No (62%)
| Total Votes: 557
`----

GreyGeek:

,----[ Quote ]
| De Icaza has been trying for EIGHT YEARS to get a distro to become totally
| dependent on MONO, and since Novell bought De Icaza, both have increased
| their propaganda efforts, with the assistance of Microsoft TEs, trolls,
| astroturfers and fanbois.
|
| IF MONO is what its advocates are saying it is (the best thing since sliced
| bread and safe to use), it would already be in widespread adoption by now.
| The fact that you can count dependent programs on the fingers of one hand
| says VOLUMES about how the Linux community as a whole totally distrusts MONO.
| They are right to hold that distrust.
|
| Java is open source and is MUCH less susceptible to patent attacks. It has
| CONSIDERABLY MORE tools and applications built with it and for it than MONO
| does.
|
| Qt4 is GPL'd and has an excellent API and development tools, bar none. It
| also has excellent apps built by it and tools available for it.
|
| MONO serves no purpose, except to raise the risk of patent attack or of being
| left in isolation WHEN Microsoft adds extensions to .NET that patents will
| prevent being added to MONO. This is backwards from Microsoft's usual attack
| mode.
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2009-06-30-008-35-OP-CY-MS-0002

Sydney Water dumps GroupWise

,----[ Quote ]
| Sydney Water has decided to migrate its email platform from Novell's
| GroupWise to Microsoft Outlook/Exchange and is looking for a contractor to
| help implement the change.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Sydney-Water-dumps-GroupWise/0,130061733,339297128,00.htm?omnRef=1337

Stallman warns of Mono 'risk'

,----[ Quote ]
| GNU project founder Richard Stallman has called on developers to pull back
| from Mono, arguing that increasing use of the open-source toolset could
| prompt legal action by Microsoft.
`----

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39668698,00.htm

Mono is not a patent threat for Debian

,----[ Quote ]
| I recently came across this very interesting article, written in 1999, which
| details the tactics used by Microsoft to fight IBM. They obviously saw OS/2
| as a threat. Back then, Windows 95 was the trading token. They could have
| caused IBM a great deal of harm shall they refused to license it to them, but
| it seems the idea of subjugating IBM was more appealing. This is how Garry
| Norris (IBM) put it:
|
| “Microsoft repeatedly said we would suffer in terms of prices, terms,
| conditions and support programs, as long as we were offering competing
| products.“
|
| “[Microsoft] insisted that IBM sell 300,000 copies of Windows 95 in the first
| five months or face a 20 percent price increase“
|
| Nice deal, eh? Make your dependancy on Windows 95 stronger, or else we’ll use
| your existing dependancy on Windows 95 against you. No surprise IBM abandoned
| the PC market. Are Red Hat and Sun/Oracle set on the same direction?
`----

http://robertmh.wordpress.com/2009/07/01/mono-is-not-a-patent-threat-for-debian/

Dear Richard,

,----[ Quote ]
| So, Debian didn't change "the default installation" (whatever that's supposed
| to be) but the dependency of a package which is used by a minority of our
| users who explicitly wishes to install everything GNOME related (which is to
| the best of my knowledge in accordance with upstream developers who added
| tomboy to the default GNOME installation, too).
`----

http://blog.schmehl.info/Debian/tomboy-mono

Debian - Mono is not in our default installation

| about the Mono problem, Alexander Schmehl, Debian developer and spokesperson
| for the GNU/Linux distribution has pointed out that Debian has no plans to
| include the controversial programming environment in the default GNOME
| installation. Stallman, who opened his letter with "Debian's decision to
| include Mono in the default installation, for the sake of Tomboy", had
| suggested that Debian were including the Mono libraries for anyone using
| Debian with GNOME.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/Debian-Mono-is-not-in-our-default-installation--/news/113660

As It Stands, Ubuntu Has No Issues With Mono

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzM1Nw

Ubuntu’s Position on Mono Revealed (Update)

http://www.itnewstoday.com/?p=606

Mono Discussion: Stallman Warns, Ubuntu Dismissive

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/News/Mono-Discussion-Stallman-Warns-Ubuntu-Dismissive

,----[ Quote ]
| Our company also takes the potential threat of patents seriously.  As
| such we stand by the position of the SFLC, FSF and RMS in that Mono is
| just too dangerous.
|
| We are therefore going to look at switching from Ubuntu to Fedora.
|
| The threat is too great to ignore.  I wish the UTB would reconsider this
| as more harm will come to Ubuntu rather than good.
`----

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.devel/28569

Ubuntu says yes to Mono, SFLC says no

,----[ Quote ]
| The Ubuntu technical board has announced that it sees no reason to consider a
| dependency on Mono as an issue when suggesting applications to be included in
| the default set included in the GNU/Linux distribution.
|
| [...]
|
| The Software Freedom Law Centre, which provides "legal representation and
| other law-related services to protect and advance Free, Libre and Open Source
| Software" has a diametrically different view.
|
| Following the statement made by Free Software Foundation chief Richard M.
| Stallman against Debian's inclusion of Mono as a default, SFLC technology
| director, Bradley Kuhn , has written an essay, backing Stallman's view about
| it being better to avoid a language like C#.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/26013/1090/

On Debian and Mono

http://photosinensis.livejournal.com/744601.html