[News] VirtualBox 3.0 is Released

VirtualBox 3.0 released

,----[ Quote ]
| Less than one week after the release of the second beta, Sun Microsystems has
| announced the release of version 3.0 of its open source VirtualBox desktop
| virtualisation application for x86 hardware. VirtualBox 3.0 is a major update
| that, in addition to a number of bug fixes and performance improvements,
| introduces several major new features.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/141371/from/rss09

VirtualBox 3.0.0 (released 2009-06-30)

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Changelog

Recent:

VirtualBox 3.0 Beta 2 arrives

,----[ Quote ]
| Only one week after the first beta was released, VirtualBox developer Frank
| Mehnert has announced the availability of the second beta of version 3.0 of
| the open source desktop virtualisation application for x86 hardware. In
| addition to numerous bug fixes for the previous release, the second beta
| includes several performance improvements and fixes for SMP guests. Several
| OpenGL and Direct3D related issues and a high CPU usage issue on certain idle
| Windows guests, have also been addressed.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/VirtualBox-3-0-Beta-2-arrives--/news/113611

VirtualBox 3.0 Beta Brings SMP, OpenGL 2.0

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun Microsystems has announced the first beta release of VirtualBox 3.0 Beta
| 1. The major additions to VirtualBox 3.0 so far is guest SMP (Symmetric
| Multi-Processing) support for up to 32 virtual CPUs, Windows guests now
| support Direct3D 8/9 applications and games, and there is now OpenGL 2.0
| support for Windows, Linux, and Solaris guests.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzMzMQ

VirtualBox 2.2.4 fixes assorted bugs

,----[ Quote ]
| VirtualBox is an x86 virtualisation product available under the GPL. The
| product is backed by Sun, which offers enterprise licences with support.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/25389/1054/

Virtual Nation

,----[ Quote ]
| Along comes Sun’s VirtualBox (http://www.virtualbox.org/)… totally
| cross-platform (there are versions for Windows, OSX, Linux, and Solaris, and
| even has an SDK).  Totally free.  Easy to set up and use.  And extremely
| powerful.
`----

http://www.dailyindia.com/blog/221129208.php

Sun revs VirtualBox to 2.2

,----[ Quote ]
| Beleaguered server and system-software maker Sun Microsystems wants to change
| the Big Blue subject big-time, if only so that someone could talk about the
| new VirtualBox 2.2 virtualization software the company is announcing on
| Wednesday.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/04/08/sun_virtualbox_2_2/

VirtualBox Gets 3D Acceleration For Linux Guests

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux guests under VirtualBox 2.2 and later can now have OpenGL acceleration
| support, permitting they are running a modified driver stack. Also introduced
| in VirtualBox 2.2 Beta 1 was OVF (Open Virtualization Format) appliance
| import and export, Hypervisor optimizations for improved performance, Intel
| VT-x and AMD-V are enabled by default on new virtual machines, and
| experimental USB support for Solaris hosts. This release also has
| experimental support for Mac OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard" host operating systems.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzE0OA

VirtualBox 2.1.4

,----[ Quote ]
| Just after I reviewed Sun’s VirtualBox virtualization solution, the company
| released version 2.1 which added two major new features along with the usual
| assortment of bug fixes. Since the release of 2.1, there have been four minor
| releases, bringing VirtualBox up to version 2.1.4, which is the one I used
| for this updated review.
`----

http://www.macworld.com/article/139261/2009/03/vbox21.html?t=201

5 Reasons VirtualBox Rocks My Socks

,----[ Quote ]
| Lately I've been interested in learning about a variety of the Operating
| Systems that are available today. I'm a big advocate of using the right tool
| for the job so experimenting with the latest OSes is a must in order to
| figure out the strengths and weaknesses of each. While experimentation is a
| great way to learn it can be a bit of a pain to find an old machine, format
| the hard drive, and install an OS. Dual booting is an alternative option, but
| there is the inherent risk of messing up the current state of your machine.
`----

http://www.fiascode.com/general-technology/5-reasons-virtualbox-rocks-my-socks/

5 Linux-based Virtualization Companies to Watch

,----[ Quote ]