[News] SELinux and KVM (Inside Fedora) in Review

Recognize the Real Promise of Hosted Desktop Virtualization

,----[ Quote ]
| In the case of Red Hat's hosted desktop virtualization solution, this is
| achieved through the use of Security Enhanced Linux (SELinux), sVirt and the
| KVM hypervisor. This combination of open source technologies provides a level
| of isolation equivalent to that which exists in physical deployments, and in
| doing so dramatically increases the security of virtual desktops and the
| hypervisors on which they reside.
`----

http://www.virtual-strategy.com/Features/Red-Hat-20090630.html

Linux virtualisation hypervisor KVM hits release 87

,----[ Quote ]
| The native Linux virtualisation hypervisor Kernel-based Virtual Machine (KVM)
| has reached milestone 87 and now integrates the qemu emulator into a single
| package.
|
| Scores of changes have occurred since the 86 release last month, and with the
| merge of qemu upstream brings better tuning and visibility of the live
| migration process, the setting of qcow2 (qemu disk image format) cluster size
| is now allowed, qcow2 optimisations, and networking improvements.
`----

http://www.techworld.com.au/article/309586/linux_virtualisation_hypervisor_kvm_hits_release_87

Big Thanks To The SELinux Team

,----[ Quote ]
| I started using Fedora back in the Fedora 8 days.  I’ve always tried to run
| SELinux in enforcing mode and back in the Fedora 8-9 days that seemed to mean
| I’d have some SELinux issue every few days.  It wasn’t a big deal, but it was
| annoying and very tempting to turn it off completely.
`----

http://californiaquantum.wordpress.com/2009/06/30/big-thanks-to-the-selinux-team/

Recent:

Red Hat's standalone hypervisor goes beta

,----[ Quote ]
| Commercial Linux distributor Red Hat threw its, er, red hat into the
| virtualization ring back in February when it announced it was creating a
| standalone Enterprise Virtualization hypervisor based on KVM to compete with
| the likes of VMware, Microsoft, and Citrix Systems. Today, that standalone
| hypervisor and the tools to manage it for servers and desktops moved into
| beta.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/16/redhat_rhev_beta/

Red Hat makes KVM its Linux virtualization of choice

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite Red Hat’s surprising announcement last week that it would be
| partnering with Microsoft on virtualization, on February 23rd, Red Hat’s
| announced that it would be switching its virtualization strategy from a mix
| of virtualization programs, including the Microsoft-friendly Xen, to focusing
| on Linux’s baked-in KVM (Kernel-based Virtual Machine)
|
| KVM, as Red Hat CTO Brian Stevens admitted during a press call, is still a
| work in progress. But, Stevens assured the audience, by working with IBM and
| Intel, Red Hat will be able to deliver its full Red Hat Virtualization
| portfolio within the next 12-months. The first fruits of this switch will
| appear in RHEL (Red Hat Enterprise Linux) 5.4, which is due out in August
| 2009.
`----

http://practical-tech.com/infrastructure/red-hat-makes-kvm-its-linux-virtualization-of-choice/

KVM virtualisation in Red Hat Linux next year

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat will be in a position to offer Kernel Virtual Machine (KVM), the open
| source virtualisation it garnered with the acquisition of Qumranet, in the
| first half of 2009.
|
| Asked by CBR when Red Hat will be able to offer the KVM technology as part of
| Red Hat Enterprise Linux, the firm’s president and CEO Jim Whitehurst said it
| is “highly likely” that it would be during calendar 2009 but would not be
| drawn further.
`----

http://opensource.cbronline.com/news/kvm_virtualisation_in_red_hat_linux_next_year_021208

Related: