Re: [News] The SFLC Says "No" to Mono

On 2009-07-01, Erik Funkenbusch <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> claimed:
> On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 19:44:43 +0100, Ben wrote:
>
>> I agree that Mono has some practical advantages, but why are we making
>> free implementations of it instead of a competing specification, which
>> cannot be attacked by litigation?
>
> First of all, that's impossible.  Any code and implementation runs the risk
> of violating someones patents.  There's just no way to know if any piece of
> code you write doesn't infringe on a patent.

Second of all, I'd rather run the risk of violating a random patent
owned by someone who isn't, or maybe even is, a dickhead by default
than to take the almost certain chance that I'm implementing something
that violates a patent of a known felon and hostile monopoly.

--
Experience is what you get when you were expecting something else.