[News] Virgin Walks Away -- a Little -- from the Copyright Cartel

Virgin Territory, Perhaps, but Still not a Universal Solution

,----[ Quote ]
| The really problematic part is at the end: “No customers will be permanently
| disconnected and the process will not depend on network monitoring or
| interception of customer traffic by Virgin Media.” Well, yes, but
| intermittent disconnection is just as bad: if you don't know when your
| connection is available it becomes pretty useless. Similarly, you have to
| wonder how Virgin Media will know who to disconnect in this way, if they are
| not monitoring or intercepting traffic. The worst case would be if they just
| took Universal's word for it, pretty much along the lines of the
| increasingly-discredited “three strikes and you're out” in France.
|
| So, although there is much to welcome in this announcement, it represents
| just the first baby steps towards a full and fair solution.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=2273&blogid=14

Recent:

Virgin America Announces New Entertainment Line-Up, More WiFi for Spring

,----[ Quote ]
| Virgin America plans to introduce additional video games, movies, a new
| television channel line-up, a Best of the Web category and other new content
| in the latter half of 2009 - all of which will be made possible by
| Linux-based system upgrades taking place this summer.
`----

http://sev.prnewswire.com/airlines-aviation/20090312/AQ8272412032009-1.html

Related:

Tech fuels flight

,----[ Quote ]
| We are using two dozen open source products, thanks to which we have saved
| close to $6 million for Virgin America in the last two years. Products today
| are mature enough to not cause undue risk. Our e-Commerce site, which does 80
| per cent of our business today, runs on open source.
`----

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/ew/2008/01/07/stories/2008010750080300.htm

Virgin America tunes up with YSlow

,----[ Quote ]