[News] Open Access Advances Further, United Nations Makes Free University

The world’s first Open Access Mandate?

,----[ Quote ]
| In the process of writing something about the current state of Open Access
| (OA) mandates I became intrigued by the mandate introduced at Geneva-based
| particle physics laboratory CERN.
`----

http://poynder.blogspot.com/2009/06/worlds-first-open-access-mandate.html

United Nation launches world's first free online university

,----[ Quote ]
| For hundreds of millions of people around the world higher education is no
| more than a dream. The United Nations hope to make this dream a reality with
| their global tuition-free online University.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/25650/1054/

Recent:

United Nations using Drupal

,----[ Quote ]
| 117 million people participated in the United Nations' Anti-Poverty event,
| and it was organized on a Drupal site: http://www.standagainstpoverty.org/.
`----

http://buytaert.net/united-nations-using-drupal-3

United Nations University urges legislators to support open source software

,----[ Quote ]
| United Nations University (UNU-MERIT) experts urge parliamentarians to
| support open source software and information technologies as a way to let
| citizens participate meaningfully in the information society. They also
| emphasize that policy markers should consider information and communications
| technologies from a social rather than technical viewpoint.
`----

http://www.zeapartners.org/articles/unumerit007

UN agency and Microsoft plan increased collaboration

,----[ Quote ]
| The head of the United Nations International Telecommunication Union (ITU)
| and the Chairman of Microsoft Bill Gates have discussed enhancing their
| collaboration on using information technology to spur development around the
| world.
`----

http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=27172&Cr=&Cr1=

UN think tank urges legislators to support 'open source' information
technologies, software

,----[ Quote ]
| "Participation in, not just access to, the information society is important"
| Ghosh told the UN event, attended by members of parliament from over 40
| countries. "Open source software gives people fishing rods, not just fish."
|
| “The main issue here is a plea for open standards as they guarantee
| competition,” says Prof. Luc Soete, Director of Maastricht-based UNU-MERIT,
| underlining the importance of this topic to the Institute’s work. Recently
| published UNU-MERIT studies demonstrate the strong role of open source
| software in skills development.
`----

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2008-05/unu-utt051608.php

UN University Launches OpenCourseWare

,----[ Quote ]
| It seems a no-brainer that the United Nations University (yes, it exists)
| should make available its courses for the world and her dog to use...
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2008/02/un-university-launches-opencourseware.html

Related:

Technical support for open source system now in GenSan

,----[ Quote ]
| Dr. Francisco Sarmiento III, project officer of the United Nations
| Development Programme-International Open Source Network (UNDO-IOSN) Asean+3
| Sub-regional Node, said local small and medium enterprises (SMEs), government
| and non-government organizations migrating towards the free and open source
| software (FOSS) may now link up for support with the Mindanao State
| University's (MSU) Computer Center here.
`----

http://www.mindanews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3455&Itemid=50

UN partners with MSU-Gensan for dev't of 1st Foss center

,----[ Quote ]
| A United Nations (UN)-funded organization promoting the use of the free and
| open source software (Foss) has forged a partnership with the Mindanao State
| University (MSU) for the development of Southeast Asia's first OpenHUB or
| accessible FOSS resource center.
`----

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/static/gen/2007/12/03/bus/un.partners.with.msu.gensan.for.dev.t.of.1st.foss.center.html
http://tinyurl.com/2r3d26

Talking FOSS at the UN

,----[ Quote ]
| Weesner says that despite the fact that speakers like Stallman and Cooper
| were well-received last year, "This year [the delegates] expressed a wish to
| hear more from real-world users instead of the technologists and advocates.
| This year's agenda does not include open source software developers, apart
| from Chris DiBona, who will be representing the Google case." Other
| unconfirmed guest speakers include Virgin America, SchoolNet Namibia, and
| Banco do Brasil.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/119609

UN body releases desktop Linux guide

,----[ Summary ]
| A UN-funded organisation has produced a Linux desktop
| user guide to encourage the take-up of Linux in
| developing countries
`----

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/linuxunix/0,39020390,39164367,00.htm

UN Technical Agency Honors Mozilla

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/mitchell/archives/2007/06/un_technical_agency_honors_moz.html

UN body releases desktop Linux guide

,----[ Summary ]
| A UN-funded organisation has produced a Linux desktop
| user guide to encourage the take-up of Linux in
| developing countries
`----

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/linuxunix/0,39020390,39164367,00.htm

Editor's Corner (on Open Source in Healthcare)

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.fiercehealthit.com/story/editor-s-corner/2006-10-09