Re: [News] Macpup GNU/Linux Reviewed, PCLOS Gets New Theme

  • Subject: Re: [News] Macpup GNU/Linux Reviewed, PCLOS Gets New Theme
  • From: Marti van Lin <ml2mst@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 18:26:49 +0000 (UTC)
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 02:48:44 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Macpup - Puppy on steroids
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Puppy is more than just a distro. It's a whole family of colorful
> editions, | each catering its own special, unique motto. If the official
> release cannot | satisfy your needs, one of the Puplets surely will. The
> possibilities are | endless, limited only by your time and bandwidth. |
> | Exploring the world of Linux live CD experience has never been more
> fun. | Download your favorite Puppy and start playing. Macpup is
> definitely one of | the finer breeds out there, but who knows what you
> might find? `----
>
> http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/macpup.html

Cool! I downloaded it and burned it on a CDR and left the CD open for
additional sessions.

Booting the CD takes a couple of minutes, because the entire system is
copied into RAM.

This means that applications start with the speed of light. For example
the full featured FireFox browser is started up within a few milliseconds.

I tried MacPup on a 1.70 Ghz CPU with 384 MiB RAM and it's speed was
overwhelming. Then I tried it on a 2.0 Ghz CPU and it's speed was /
intimidating/

For my fellow old farts: do you remember the speed of the Firmware BASIC
interpreter being loaded on your favorite old school 8-bit machines?

Me thinks this distribution has quite some potential. Just imagine that
it would be stored on a EEPROM in embedded devices...

I would like to encourage everyone, who likes to play with alternative
GNU/Linux distributions, to give it a shot. This is quite a speedy GNU/
Linux experience ;-)

--
|_|0|_| Marti van Lin
|_|_|0| http://ml2mst.googlepages.com