Re: [News] Linux Foundation Published Interview with IBM's Linux VP

Ezekiel wrote:
Matt wrote:

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

Interview with Bob Sutor

,----[ Quote ]
| In this episode of Open Voices, Linux Foundation Executive Director Jim
| Zemlin talks with newly appointed VP of Linux and Open Source at IBM
| Bob Sutor. They cover IBM’s current support of Linux, the origin of
| that support, and the hotspots Bob sees in the Linux and open source
| market today. Highlights include conversation about cloud computing,
| Linux on the desktop, ODF, and the growth of the Linux community.
`----

http://linux-foundation.org/weblogs/openvoices/2009/06/09/bobsutor/

http://linux-foundation.org/weblogs/openvoices/bob-sutor-interview-part1
(((((
Bob Sutor: We have over 30,000 people using Linux desktops in IBM
)))))

IBM - Full Time Employees: 410,097 http://finance.yahoo.com/q/pr?s=IBM

So that leaves 380,000+ employees using Windows. Not really all that great
if you consider that IBM is supposedly some sort of "Linux company."

It takes time to develop best practices when you are making a big change. You put solutions in place one at a time---each new solution enabling you to migrate a few more desktops. One out of fourteen is a very solid base to grow from.

Also there is still plenty of money to be made supporting Windows, and we would expect IBMers to use the same kinds of systems they support.