[News] Open Source and Databases Get Tighter, Microsoft Office Devolves

Enterprise Databases Grow By Leaps and Bounds

,----[ Quote ]
| Pricing was not disclosed. According to Greenplum, the software runs on SUSE
| Linux Enterprise Server 10.2 (64-bit), Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.x (64-bit),
| CentOS Linux 5.x (64-bit) and Sun Solaris 10U5+ (64-bit). Greenplum Database
| 3.3 is supported on server hardware from a range of vendors, including HP,
| Dell, Sun and IBM.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/hardware/article.php/3823896/Enterprise+Databases+Grow+By+Leaps+and+Bounds.htm

It’s official, MS Office looks like The Gimp.

,----[ Quote ]
| Now this is, after 5 minutes of fiddling with pretty much every toolbar
| possible, how OpenOffice.org 3.01 looks on my Fedora 10...
`----

http://standardsandfreedom.net/index.php/2009/06/07/its-official-ms-office-looks-like-the-gimp/

Recent:

A bright future for MySQL

,----[ Quote ]
| MySQL is an example of a disruptive technology. At first, it was too puny for
| the proprietary databases to notice, and satisfied only small users. But its
| powers grew, and the size of the companies using it also increased. It cannot
| match the upper limits of DB2 capability at this point, but it will be
| interesting to see if and when that day comes. But it doesn’t have to; it is
| already transforming most of the database market. May Sun invest the money
| (and employ the open source software developers) to take it to the top.
`----

http://enterpriselinuxlog.blogs.techtarget.com/2008/01/17/a-bright-future-for-mysql/

At MySQL, it's business as usual

,----[ Quote ]