Re: [News] MAFIAA Sued (Directly) for $5 Million, by Cher

Verily I say unto thee, that Philip spake thusly:

> They entertainment industry has been playing this shell game for
> years:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_accounting
>
> "only about 5% of movies officially show a net profit, and the
> "losers" include such blockbuster films as Rain Man, Forrest Gump,
> Who Framed Roger Rabbit, and Batman, which all took in huge amounts
> in box office and video sales."

Turns out that Intellectual Monopoly is not only profoundly unethical
from the perspective of derivation, entitlement, progress, and fair
trade, but it's also a good ol' fashioned scam, with the publishers
skimming the profits, and the actual /creators/ getting /nothing/.

Oh, but the Intellectual Monopolists work "so hard" for "their property"
though.

See also:

Courtney Love does the math
http://archive.salon.com/tech/feature/2000/06/14/love/

And more recently:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Writers_Guild_of_America_strike

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "The shepherd drives the wolf from the sheep's throat, for which
| the sheep thanks the shepherd as his liberator, while the wolf
| denounces him for the same act, as the destroyer of liberty.
| Plainly the sheep and the wolf are not agreed upon a definition of
| the word liberty; and precisely the same difference prevails today
| among human creatures." ~ Abraham Lincoln
`----

Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) on sky, running kernel 2.6.26.8-57.fc8
 01:43:45 up 10 days,  5:41,  3 users,  load average: 6.49, 7.18, 7.26