[News] [Rival] Microsoft Abuses Illegally-obtained Monopoly to Force Propaganda Engine Upon People

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Abuses Illegally-obtained Monopoly to Force Propaganda Engine Upon People
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2009 23:29:57 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Microsoft Tries to Force You to Use Bing

,----[ Quote ]
| According to reports, a glitch in Internet Explorer 6 forced Bing onto users
| as the default search engine. Even when users manually altered their
| preferences, Bing emerged once again.
|
| Search Engine Land contacted Microsoft about the bug. Microsoft acknowledged
| the problem and responded at 2:45 a.m. that the bug is now fixed. End of
| story, right?
|
| Perhaps. But when you take Microsoft's history into consideration, the
| force-feeding of Bing almost makes sense. I am not suggesting Microsoft
| intentionally created this bug to get people hooked on Bing. I am saying
| there's a correlation between the problem at hand and problems Microsoft have
| encountered in the past.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/166024/microsoft_tries_to_force_you_to_use_bing.html

Introducing Bing Search!

http://izanbardprince.wordpress.com/2009/06/06/introducing-bing-search/

Recent:

Bing is not Google, but it is a spin engine.

,----[ Quote ]
| But rather than a search engine or even a "decision engine", Bing also
| appears to be a spin engine, in that it provides partisan answers to
| controversial topics, such as Steve Ballmer's propensity to throw chairs to
| blow off stress.  At a friend's suggestion, I typed the following phrases
| (without quotes) into both Google.com and Bing.com.  The results are very
| telling.  Be sure to look at the phrase completion options that you are
| offered as you type.
|
| "linux "
|
| "antitrust microsoft"
|
| "ballmer throws chair"
|
| "bill gates steals"
|
| The important thing here is not whether Bill Gates does, in fact, steal, and
| I am not here to make ad hominem attacks on the world's richest man.  The
| point is how Microsoft deals with criticism.  With spin.  As opposed to
| Google, which just repeats much of the criticism of it.
|
| [...]
|
| Contrast that with phrases that are negative for Google, such as "Google is
| evil."  Typing "Google is e" yields no suggestions.  But typing in "Google
| is" yield results which are both positive and negative for Google as a
| company:
|
| "Google is your friend"
| "Google is broken"
| "Google is skynet"
| "Google is making us stupid"
| "Google is a number"
| "Google is paying to work from home"
| "Google is always right"
| "Google is taking over the world"
| "Google is watching you"
| "Google is paying"
|
| More to the point is the first phrase.  Microsoft's first suggestions all are
| aimed at diverting attention away from one of its keenest competition, Free
| Open Source Software, a competitor which, every year in its official annual
| 10k SEC-mandated warning to investors, Microsoft lists as a threat to its
| profitability.
|
| [...]
|
| Clearly, Bing is not Google, and is not going to overtake Google anytime use,
| nor offer information which, on the whole, is as useful to its users as
| Google search results.
|
| By the way, the most concise summary of why Google is beating Microsoft can
| be seen by typing this phrase into your browser: Bingisnotgoogle.com.  Google
| is always one step ahead of Redmond.

`----

http://linux.com/community/blogs/Bing-is-not-Google-but-it-is-a-spin-engine.-14904.html

Is Microsoft forcing Bing on IE6 users?

,----[ Quote ]
| We’re getting word that a number of Internet Explorer 6 users are loading up
| their browsers to discover that the default search engine, which they had set
| as Google, has been changed to Bing. What’s more, when they try to change it
| back they’re being blocked from doing so thanks to a Microsoft Live Search
| message that reads: “Oops This isn’t the page that you wanted”.
`----

http://thenextweb.com/2009/06/02/microsoft-forcing-bing-ie6-users/

Websense blocks Bing in IM snafu

,----[ Quote ]
| Websense users were temporarily blocked from enjoying the launch of
| Microsoft's Bing search engine on Monday.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/02/websense_lifts_bing_block/

China shuts down Twitter and Bing in lead up to Tiananmen anniversary

,----[ Quote ]
| It’s widely known that China runs a pretty tight ship - to put it mildly - on
| what its citizens get to see online, especially that content which exists
| outside of China.
`----

http://uk.techcrunch.com/2009/06/02/china-shuts-down-twitter-and-bing-in-lead-up-to-tiananmen-anniversary/

Badda-Bing Indeed.