[News] Bright Future for Java Programming Under Oracle

Java One - Larry Ellison on Java

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9aKLzptdvM

Oracle's Java plans sound familiar — and so will the response

,----[ Quote ]
| Slimmer operating systems that trade functionality for ease of use will be
| more popular, but I don't think they'll be run on brand new hardware: Instead
| we'll end up reusing older hardware to do the same job. Installing Linux and
| other open source operating systems is far, far easier than it was ten years
| ago, and hardware support is on a par with proprietary operating systems.
| Hardware you've already paid for is cheaper than any new hardware, no matter
| how compact and inexpensive.
|
| So sorry, Larry, but you're still not going to be able to sell us lots of
| Oracle- (or Sun) branded network computers. The only consolation is that we
| might still see the end of Microsoft's dominance of the business desktop.
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10012877o-2000331765b,00.htm?new_comment

Ben and Dion and JavaFX and Ajax

,----[ Quote ]
| Ben took the Ajax side and Dion JavaFX’s; I see that they switch roles. I’m
| not going to walk through the debating points, and since I haven’t had any FX
| hands-on, I wouldn’t have much to offer as to the rights and wrongs. Ben and
| Dion probably feel they left the case for JavaFX in a heap of smoking ruins.
|
| [...]
|
| I don’t see the competition among models for GUI construction as particularly
| central to progress on the Web—I trust the market to pick what works—but
| Larry Ellison picked this topic to highlight. Ben and Dion owe Larry a vote
| of thanks for cranking up the spotlight on their hobby-horse, I’d say. And
| FX’s advocates need to figure out some snappy comebacks PDQ.
`----

http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2009/06/05/Ben-and-Dion-and-Ajax-and-JavaFX

Recent:

Sun Execs Debut Java App Store

,----[ Quote ]
| Today at Sun Microsystems' JavaOne conference, CEO Jonathan Schwartz and Vice
| President and Sun Fellow James Gosling unveiled the beta version of Sun's new
| Java App Store, which you can visit here. As we've reported, Sun foresees it
| reaching many millions of users of Java applications, and the company hopes
| developers will fill it with useful Java applications. Although, applications
| at the store will be free in the beta trial, Sun's goal is also to get
| significant revenues from the store. Here's more on what Schwartz and Gosling
| said and showed on stage.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/sun-execs-debut-java-app-store

Oracle will invest heavily in Java