[News] Dell Sells GNU/Linux Laptops for Under $300

Get a Linux-powered Dell laptop for $299

,----[ Quote ]
| The real consideration for most buyers is that the Inspiron 15n runs on
| Ubuntu Linux 8.10--a great operating system by all accounts, but no good if
| you need to run Windows apps. (I know, I know, there's always WINE, but I
| don't consider that a viable solution for everyday users. Yell at me in the
| comments if you disagree.)
|
| [...]
|
| If you think you'll go that route, I highly recommend spending an extra $35
| to upgrade the Inspiron's Celeron processor to a 2GHz Pentium Dual Core
| T4200. The Celeron's fine for Linux, but a weakling for Windows.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13845_3-10258138-58.html

Recent:

Delicious Dell Cupcake...(Android Cupcake, that is)

,----[ Quote ]
| Care for a Dell Cupcake? We knew you would. Credit to Dell for not only
| listening to reader suggestions, but for doing their own video hacking. At
| their own labs (hey, those kinda look like ours), they demonstrate the newest
| Android update, "Cupcake," on a Mini 10v, being quick to announce that "they
| have no plans" to announce such a thing...but that it "runs really nicely."
| So says Doug Anson, a technology strategist who works at the office of the
| CTO, who demonstrates.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10245400-1.html

Dell says Windows 7 price is possible barrier

,----[ Quote ]
| Some schools and smaller businesses may not be early adopters due to
| price. "Schools and government agencies may not be able to afford (the
| additional cost). Some of the smaller businesses may not be able to enjoy the
| software as soon as they'd like," Ward said.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10242555-64.html

Dell's Latest Latitude 2100: A Kid-Centric Netbook

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell goes after the education market with a child-centric netbook, but will
| it make the grade?
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/165078/dells_latitude_2100_more_than_just_kid_stuff.html

Ubuntu to be offered by Dell Australia

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell today announced its Latitude 2100, a netbook designed specifically for
| school children. It is also the first Dell product in Australia to offer the
| Ubuntu operating system pre-installed.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/hardware/soa/Ubuntu-to-be-offered-by-Dell-Australia/0,130061702,339296519,00.htm

New $369 Dell netbook for schools has germ-busting keyboard

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9133238