Re: PCLOS magazine NOT dead

____/ Don Zeigler on Tuesday 02 June 2009 18:53 : \____

> Fuck you, trolls. The editor-in-chief arbitrarily deciding to kill the
> magazine over some ad screwups is not a decision he alone is able to
> make.

The trolls cheat, smear, and steal. That's why their noise is killfiled by
many. Where did they say PCLOS magazine was dead? The distro is thriving and
it garnered immaculate reviews, e.g.

Pclinuxos 2009

,----[ Quote ]
| So far I am very pleased with this release and think I have switched back to
| Pclinuxos full time. Good work guys!
`----

http://www.linuxspecs.com/?p=38

Faceoff: PCLOS 2009.1 vs LinuxMint KDE CE 6

,----[ Quote ]
| In the past few days, I was lucky to be able to test drive two wonderful
| Linux distributions that both promises to work "out of the box" -- PCLinuxOS
| 2009.1 and LinuxMint KDE Community Edition 6.
`----

http://teqnix.blogspot.com/2009/04/faceoff-pclos-20091-vs-linuxmint-kde-ce.html

My PCLinuxOS 2009.1 Desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| The installed KDE apps work perfectly in my PCLOS 2009 Gnome system. Great
| performance, no stability issues and now I have what I consider to be the
| best of both worlds working in harmony.
`----

http://penguiniplanetblog.blogspot.com/2009/04/my-pclinuxos-20091-desktop.html

Back and Better Than Ever--PCLinuxOS 2009.1 Review

,----[ Quote ]
| PCLinuxOS is one of those distributions that you could probably set up for
| your mom or for a non-techie friend and then have it pretty much work for
| them with very little support headaches on your part. I'd definitely
| recommend it as one of the must-try distributions available right now.

PCLinuxOS is GREAT!

,----[ Quote ]
| Another amazing feature is the extreme ease you can create a custom
| LiveCD/DVD: one click does it all for you!
| You can expect every program vetted by the PCLinuxOS team to work out of the
| box, and to work well!
| Give PCLinuxOS a spin, you won't be disappointed.
`----

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=159326

PCLinuxOS 2009.1 Mini review

,----[ Quote ]
| This is one of three really easy systems to use, and one of the few I would
| recommend to first time users. My two children use PCLinuxOS regularly when
| they spend time with daddy. On my GRUB bootloader menu, I put their names,
| followed by PCLinuxOS to make it easy to see in my multi-distro boot menu.
| They find it easily and have no problems using it. Is that enough of a
| testimonial to PCLinuxOS?
`----

http://usalug-org.blogspot.com/2009/03/pclinuxos-20091-mini-review.html

PCLinuxOS 2009.1 Review

,----[ Quote ]
| PCLinuxOS is a Linux distribution based on Mandriva Linux. The most recent
| update, and the first since the last update in 2007, was released last week.
| This review will be the very first review of PCLinuxOS on this site.
|
| [...]
|
| What we like about PCLinuxOS Using PCLinuxOS is like using Mandriva Linux
| Powerpack without paying for it. The main thing missing is that LVM
| configuration is not supported. Also disk encryption is limited.
|
| What needs to improve Not a whole lot, but there are key features I think
| should be supported especially when those features are supported on Mandriva,
| its parent distro. Here’s a short list:
|
|     * A regular release schedule. PCLinuxOS 2009.1 is the first release since
|     2007. That wont cut it in the free software operating system arena.
|     * LVM configuration. Contrary to the opinions of a few mis-informed
|     people, Linux Logical Volume Manager is important, even on the desktop.
|     * The firewall must be enabled by default. There is no good reason to
|     disable the firewall on a networked computer.
|     * During the installation and just before the packages are installed,
|     give users one last opportunity to tweak their settings. That the way it
|     is on Mandriva.
`----

http://linuxbsdos.com/2009/03/22/pclinuxos-20091-review/

SAM-Linux, PCLinuxOS' Ugly Duckling?

,----[ Quote ]
| Running SAM2008-claw-rc1 is still a very enjoyable experience proving once
| more that SAM-Linux is definitely not an ugly duckling.
`----

http://wamukota.blogspot.com/2009/03/sam-linux-pclinuxos-ugly-duckling.html

PCLinuxOS 2009.1 userbar

http://g33kgrrl.wordpress.com/2009/03/21/pclinuxos-20091-userbar/

PCLinuxOS 2009.1 - A lovely distro

,----[ Quote ]
| PCLinuxOS 2009.1 is a superb distro. It's very well made. In particular, the
| Gnome edition is the crown jewel of this release, with great stability, fresh
| looks, and tons of excellent programs across a broad range of sections.
`----

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/pclinuxos-2009.html

PCLinuxOS 2009.1 - A Taste of an Old Friend

,----[ Quote ]
| The key items that pushed me over:
|
|     * I decided KDE may be ok to "push" through... force myself
|     * Dual-monitor support was EASIER than Ubuntu
|     * Wireless was EASIER to get setup than Ubuntu
|     * Software packages were more up-to-date. An example is Open Office - 3.0
|       instead of 2.4
|     * Flash was all set
|     * Java as well
|     * Wallpaper - I dig being able to select different wallpaper for each of
|       my monitors... that adds to the cool factor
|     * Konqueror - I am liking Konqueror more and more (I wish I could get
|       this up and running on Windows)
`----

http://sloppyganger.blogspot.com/2009/03/pclinuxos-20091-taste-of-old-friend.html

Linux Distro Test: PCLinuxOS 2009.1

,----[ Quote ]
| PCLinuxOS has come out with a beauty of a distro with 2009.1 The overall
| handling is like a Cadillac and is full featured enough to get right down to
| business without too much setup.
`----

http://linux-hardcore.com/index.php?topic=2001.msg12616#msg12616

Linux Distro Test: PCLinuxOS Gnome 2009.1

,----[ Quote ]
| PCLinuxOS Gnome 2009.1 is a slick looking offering with plenty of tools to
| get started with. The repros have most of the more popular packages, and it
| tricks out nicely. This distro always has a place on my HD.
`----

http://linux-hardcore.com/index.php?topic=2002.msg12617#msg12617

Review: PcLinuxOS 2009.1

,----[ Quote ]
| So rest easy PCLOS Devs, your distro stays on my recommended list of
| distributions for new users.  And while it's indeed a bit behind, considering
| where you came from to get to here, you did a very good job.  But we will be
| looking forward with eager anticipation to your next release.  One preferably
| with KDE 4.2 or greater running under the hood.
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=540

PCLOS 2009 [Screenshots]

http://www.tuxmachines.org/gallery/v/pclos2009/

PCLinuxOS 2009.1 Bounces Back with a Bang!

,----[ Quote ]
| First I installed it on my spare Compaq notebook that has an aging Celeron M
| processor. And I find it quite snappy. Right from switching on the button to
| full-blown KDE took 1min 20sec only. And I dare say on a Core2Duo Pentium or
| Centrino it will dwarf many other desktop-wannabes.
|
| Long live PCLinuxOS!
`----

http://pclinuxos2007.blogspot.com/2009/03/pclinuxos-20091-bounces-back-with-bang.html

Blue Hot PCLinuxOS 2009 Walkthrough and First Impressions

,----[ Quote ]
| Based on the brief but thorough period of using PCLinuxOS 2009, I can
| honestly say that it’s another outstanding release for the PCLOS team. It is
| an all-around user-friendly no-nonsense desktop distro that I can highly
| recommend to ordinary users as well as power users because it “just works”. I
| think it truly deserves to be considered as one of the best Linux distro at
| the moment.
`----

http://www.junauza.com/2009/03/red-hot-pclinuxos-2009-walkthrough-and.html

The Ill-Fated PCLinuxOS 2009.1 Experiment

,----[ Quote ]
| I would happily recommend PCLinuxOS 2009.1 to new and old Linux users alike.
| PCLOS has a large repository of great (RPM) packages, a thriving, friendly
| community and a development team who really know how to put together a top
| class product, even if they do take their time about it.
|
| The first time you launch Firefox in 2009.1, you're taken to a customised
| PCLinuxOS page which has a title in the window border which says: "PCLinuxOS
| 2009.1 - The distro-hopper-stopper".
|
| Cocky? I don't think so. PCLOS 2009.1 really is that good.
`----

http://reddevil62-techhead.blogspot.com/2009/03/ill-fated-pclinuxos-20091-experiment.html

PCLinuxOS: Radically simple and a bit boring for geeks

,----[ Quote ]
| Tex and the Ripper gang have proved once more, that those who claimed "You
| need at least a master degree in computer science to maintain a Linux system"
| are rather redicoulous. PCLinuxOS proves that those chaps are simply lying
| trought their teeth. If you are actually looking for a no brainer OS (no pun
| intendet), kiss Microsoft Windows goodby and get your copy of PCLinuxOS.
`----

http://osgeex.blogspot.com/2009/03/pclinuxos-radically-simple-and-bit.html

HackMy...phase II

,----[ Quote ]
| For those of you who don't know, Hackmy... forums started out as a "advanced"
| forum for users of PCLinuxOS.
|
| HackMy has moved to a new host and has a whole new look and goal though.
|
| Hackmy is now open to users of Linux, ANY distro.
`----

http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/35058

First Look: PCLinuxOS 2009.1 GNOME

,----[ Quote ]
| In conclusion, PCLinuxOS 2009.1 GNOME will certainly please its thirsty
| community. It looks great, it's stable enough to be used on a daily basis,
| and it has a lot of useful applications. Get over the minor issues and you'll
| be in for an enjoyable experience.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/First-Look-PCLinuxOS-2009-1-GNOME-106744.shtml

Quick look around PCLinuxOS 2009.1

,----[ Quote ]
| I was planning to install this on the old test-pc, but PCLinuxOS is very
| impressive. I think I’ll use it to replace the Windows 7 beta that’s on my
| main system.
`----

http://celettu.wordpress.com/2009/03/13/quick-look-around-pclinuxos-20091/

PCLinuxOS 2009.1 Released

,----[ Quote ]
| As I said at the beginning, there's a good reason why PCLinuxOS has such a
| loyal following. It's good. It works. It includes lots of excellent packages.
| If you give it a try, you are likely to really
| be pleased - I am.
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10012344o-2000498448b,00.htm

Five-O for PCLinuxOS

,----[ Quote ]
| After rebooting to PCLinuxOS, I mentioned to them about the upcoming 2009
| release. And one of the guys was dumbfounded, querying if there'll be
| something better? I didn't answer but instead asked Marvin what he was using
| his laptop for, and explained to him that I wanted to install the programs he
| needed to get the most from his machine. Well, it was pretty much basic so
| within the hour (I have a local PCLinuxOS repository), I got much of what he
| needed; his system updated and loaded. Marvin was a bit baffled how he got
| GIMP, the latest Firefox, OpenOffice.org, digiKam, amarok, and a host of
| other goodies. Three points.
`----

http://pclinuxosuser.blogspot.com/2009/02/five-o-for-pclinuxos.html

PCLOS 2009 On the Wing

,----[ Quote ]
| As I write here I’m downloading the beta 3 of PCLinuxOS 2009, which will be
| my first go at the Ripper gang’s newest version since 2007. Based on that
| experience, my expectations are high. I guess that’s what happens when you
| produce quality stuff, Texstar: people start anticipating better and better.
`----

http://dailyrevolution.net/?p=4163

PCLinuxOS 2009.1 - a worthy successor

,----[ Quote ]
| It's been two years now since Texstar and his Ripper Gang released their most
| successful distro. The 2007 made it to the number one spot on Distrowatch,
| and although it is based on a rolling model and shouldn't need a new
| distribution release, the connotation with the number 2007 made newcomers
| skip that 'old' distro in favor of newer ones. So it was time to release a
| rejuvenated PCLinuxOS.
`----

http://wamukota.blogspot.com/2009/03/pclinuxos-20091-worthy-successor.html

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

"The government is not trying to destroy Microsoft, it’s simply seeking to
compel Microsoft to obey the law. It’s quite revealing that Mr. Gates equates
the two."
                --Government official