[News] Bands Use 'Pirate' Bay to Conduct Legitimate Business

Band Used By The Prosecution In Pirate Bay Case Releases Latest Album... On The
Pirate Bay

,----[ Quote ]
| Advance Patrol was one of the bands used by the prosecution in The Pirate Bay
| trial as an example of a band harmed by The Pirate Bay. Except... apparently
| the band didn't think so. Isak sends in the news that the band has released
| its latest album on The Pirate Bay, with a message saying how they love
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090601/0644235082.shtml

Cable Companies Aren't Immune From The Economy As More People Go Online-Only
For TV

,----[ Quote ]
| People are cutting back on lots of spending these days, but one area that was
| supposedly relatively safe was in-home entertainment expenditures.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090529/1647045055.shtml

The old business model is dying. They must face it. Like Microsoft, they are
too busy trying to change the law (software patents in Europe, 3-strikes,
etc).

Recent:

Government official wants to bring Three Strikes to Germany

,----[ Quote ]
| Germany's Undersecretary of Culture Bernd Neumann wants to adopt a three
| strikes policy against file sharing similar to the one recently enacted in
| France. "We can't say that this is out of the question," Neumann told the
| audience of a media policy event of the German Christian-Democratic Union
| (CDU), according to heise.de.
`----

http://www.p2p-blog.com/item-1064.html

HADOPI Law Passed - by 12 Votes to 4

,----[ Quote ]
| It is difficult to believe in democracy in which we aim to live and write.
| After 41 hours and 40 minutes of passionate discussion on the text, there
| remained only a handful of courageous members around 22:45 Thursday evening
| when the National Assembly decided, on the instructions of the Secretary of
| State Roger Karoutchi to pass immediately to vote on the Creation and
| Internet law, which was not expected before next week. One exception, which
| allows you to hide the large number of UMP deputies who would have abstained
| if the vote had been, as tradition dictates, after the government issues
| Tuesday night. Thus wished Nicolas Sarkozy.
|
| [...]
|
| So one of the most important, and contentious piece of legislation in recent
| years is passed by trickery. In this way, those pushing this law have shown
| their true colours and their contempt for the democratic process.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/04/hadopi-law-passed-by-12-votes-to-4.html

French pass 'three strikes' file-sharing law

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/04/03/french_three_strikes/

"Piracy Law" Cuts *Traffic* not "Piracy"

,----[ Quote ]
| All this means is that people aren't sharing so much stuff online. But now
| that you can pick up a 1 Terabyte external hard drive for less than a hundred
| quid - which can store about a quarter of a million songs - guess what people
| are going to turn to in order to swap files in the future?
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/04/piracy-law-cuts-traffic-not-piracy.html

Political Hypocrisy: French President Sued for Copyright Infringement

,----[ Quote ]
| This may very well become the most ironic stories of 2009 in the copyright
| debate. The CBC is reporting that French president Nicolas Sarkozy has been
| sued by an independent band for copyright infringement.
`----

http://www.zeropaid.com/news/10034/Political+Hypocrisy+French+President+Sued+for+Copyright+Infringement

Is Nicholas Sarkozy One Strike Towards Losing His Internet Connection?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090226/0101073907.shtml