[News] Google's Free Software Has Potential to Revolutionise Business

A Curmudgeonly Look at Google Wave

,----[ Quote ]
| Lots of talk about Google Wave last week, but after reading five articles
| that all described it in a similar fashion, I still didn't quite get what all
| the fuss was about. Finally, at the behest of one of my online friends I
| looked at the first 40 minutes of the 1 hour and 20 minute presentation from
| last week's Google I/O conference, and I finally had an inkling of the
| potential.
|
| [...]
|
| After watching the presentation, I wondered about the complexity of the
| interface and the number of adjustments you could make, and if this could
| have an impact on mass adoption (say on the scale of Gmail). Twitter is about
| as simple as you can get, 140 character limit and click Send and some people
| still have trouble understanding the nuances. Wave is a magnitude more
| complex and I wonder if this will hold back adoption beyond the technical
| elite.

It renders Outlook (and by extension Office), SharePoint and Exchange obsolete.

Recent:

Video: Google rolls Wave

,----[ Quote ]
| At its annual developer conference here, Google demonstrated Wave, a program
| it said could represent the future of online communications. The software—the
| brunt of which the company said will be made open source--blurs the lines
| between email, instant messaging and online document collaboration.
`----

http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=217700691

Wave Hello, Say Goodbye (to closed-off collaboration platforms)

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm still reading through what little detail we have on Google Wave, but
| there certainly appears to be enough for developers to get excited about.
|
| Before we even get to the technical details of what Wave does, or how we
| develop for it, there's the way it's being designed, developed and
| distributed. At first glance, everything about Wave is open: Source,
| protocols, licence, including a patent retaliation clause.
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10012844o-2000331765b,00.htm?new_comment

Sergey Brin talks about Google Wave

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIAgPM7EVZk

When you see Flash, Duck and Cover

,----[ Quote ]
| The best thing anyone can do to continue making the Internet more closed,
| restrictive, and prohibiting is to use Adobe Flash as it exists today. The
| Internet was created to allow for the open and unconfined infrastructure to
| share information; yet, it is being used today for the opposite purpose: to
| stop this information torrent. Many people do not see Flash as an issue, and
| don’t view Adobe as a malevolent authoritarian. In fact, though, Flash is the
| biggest bottleneck on the Internet’s effectiveness in the same way that the
| variety of world languages spoken worldwide is the biggest bottleneck on the
| global social network. A change in Adobe’s business strategy with regards to
| Flash is the only way to turn this unnecessary throttle on the potential of
| the Internet-connected community into a true innovation and synergistic
| technology.
`----

http://trombonechamp.wordpress.com/2009/05/29/when-you-see-flash-duck-and-cover/

Google toys with plug-in free YouTube