[News] SSDs Optimised for Linux

SanDisk releases faster netbook solid state disk drives

,----[ Quote ]
| Engineers from SanDisk and Canonical Ltd., creator of the Ubuntu Linux-based
| operating system, have worked together on system optimizations for the Gen2
| pSSD, resulting in improved system responsiveness and longer battery life,
| SanDisk said in a statement.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=knowledge_center&articleId=9133778&taxonomyId=1&intsrc=kc_top

Recent:

IBM ships SSDs for Power Systems

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM today begins selling its first solid state disks for its Power Systems
| boxes, the machines it uses to attack the Unix, Linux, and OS/400 installed
| bases.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/05/22/ibm_power_ssds/

Dell Mini 10 Netbook Available with Ubuntu and SSD Option

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell's Mini 10 netbook hasn't been on the market very long, but it has proven
| to be a popular machine for the computer maker. Dell has announced that it
| will now be offering new options on the netbook including an SSD and Ubuntu
| OS.
`----

http://www.i4u.com/article24659.html

Which operating system is best for solid-state drives?

,----[ Quote ]
| According to Far, Mac OS X runs "a little faster than Vista" with an SSD
| drive, but Linux is "always faster" than Vista or Mac OS X -- to the tune of
| 1% to 2% -- because like Windows 2000, "it never runs anything in the
| background."
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=knowledge_center&articleId=9123140&taxonomyId=1&intsrc=kc_top

Linux Solid-State Drive Benchmarks

,----[ Quote ]
| With the number of netbooks on the market continuing to
| increase each month and more of these mobile devices
| switching to solid-state drives for their reliability,
| extended battery life, and faster performance, SSDs are
| becoming quite common and finding themselves meeting many
| Linux hosts. How though does the real-world performance
| differ between hard disk drives and solid-state drives on
| Linux? We have run several tests atop Ubuntu on a Samsung
| netbook with a HDD and SSD. In addition, we have also
| looked at the encryption performance using both types of
| drives.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_ssd_performance&num=1

Related:

Should Filesystems Be Optimized for SSD’s?

,----[ Quote ]
| As long as SSD manufacturers force us treat these devices as black boxes,
| there may be a certain amount of cargo cult science which may be forced upon
| us file system designers — or I guess I should say, in order to be more
| academically respectable, “we will be forced to rely more on empirical
| measurements leading to educated engineering estimations about what the SSD
| is doing inside the black box”. Heh.
`----

http://thunk.org/tytso/blog/2009/02/22/should-filesystems-be-optimized-for-ssds/

Geek Sheet: A Tweaker’s Guide to Solid State Drives (SSDs)
and Linux

http://blogs.zdnet.com/perlow/?p=9190

If your SSD sucks, blame Vista, says SSD vendor

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/07/22/sandisk_ssd_vista_beef/