[News] Proprietary Model of Solaris Becomes a Thing of the Past

OpenSolaris is becoming more like regular Solaris

,----[ Quote ]
| Support deals are now the same for the open source and commercial versions of
| the OS; open source upgrade also adds Sparc support
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/d/open-source/opensolaris-becoming-more-regular-solaris-292

Recent:

A Weekend Look At OpenSolaris 2009.06

,----[ Quote ]
| It has been a while since last talking about OpenSolaris 2009.06 at Phoronix,
| but this weekend we decided to fire up Sun's latest build based upon the SXCE
| 111a build available from Genunix. Enclosed are a few screenshots and other
| information about this Sun community operating system that should be
| officially released within a month.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=sun_os200906_weekend&num=1

Sun Updates Solaris 10 Performance, Security

,----[ Quote ]
| Every six months, Sun updates its Solaris 10 operating system to include bug
| fixes as well as feature updates. That continues to be the case, even though
| it's likely to be the last release before Sun (NASDAQ: JAVA) becomes acquired
| by Oracle.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/software/article.php/3818241/Sun

Solaris 11 due mid-2010

,----[ Quote ]
| The number and gee-whizness of features Sun Microsystems is putting into
| updates to both the Solaris 10 commercial operating system and the related
| OpenSolaris development release of Solaris are slowing. That's the best
| indication that Nevada - the code name for Solaris Next or Solaris 11 or
| whatever you want to call it - is getting closer to release.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/04/30/sun_solaris_11/

Sun Enhancements to OpenSolaris Take Aim at Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun Microsystems’ OpenSolaris 2008.11 includes improvements around software
| package management and incorporating community packaging efforts. The updates
| to the free Solaris-based OS shows that Sun will not follow IBM and HP in
| letting Linux take over the platform space once dominated by Unix.
|
| OpenSolaris 2008.11, the second major release of Sun Microsystems’
| freely-licensed, Solaris-based operating system, hit the Web late last year
| packed with feature enhancements that illustrate that Sun isn't about to cede
| the platform stage to Linux, as brothers-in-Unix such as IBM's AIX and
| Hewlett-Packard’s  HP-UX have done.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Linux-and-Open-Source/Sun-Enhancements-to-OpenSolaris-Take-Aim-at-Linux/

Enterprise Applications Slideshow: eWEEK Labs Walk-Through: OpenSolaris 2008.11

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Enterprise-Applications/eWEEK-Labs-WalkThrough-OpenSolaris-200811/