[News] Canadian Copyright Cartel Busy Writing New Laws

The 2009 Canadian Copyright Lobby Scoreboard

,----[ Quote ]
| With the Canadian mainstream media featuring prominent coverage of the
| Conference Board of Canada's decision to recall its now discredited IP
| reports (Globe and Mail, CBC, Montreal Gazette, IT Business, Vancouver Sun,
| Ottawa Citizen, Toronto Star, Chronicle of Higher Education) it is worth
| remembering why the copyright lobby funded the Conference Board to produce
| the report in the first place.  I believe the answer is fairly clear - the
| plan was to use it for media coverage, to support its conference (chaired by
| the Canadian Recording Industry Association's Graham Henderson) and to
| provide in the regular meetings between the lobbyists and Canada's
| politicians and policy makers.
`----

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/4013/125/

Justice Department sides with Cablevision against Hollywood

,----[ Quote ]
| Elena Kagan Just what, exactly, are all those Hollywood types getting in
| return for their investment in Barack Obama's presidential bid? The Justice
| Department, a steady ally for the entertainment industry on copyright issues
| during the Bush administration, today opposed the studios in a potentially
| precedent-setting dispute with Cablevision over TV recording services. U.S.
| Solicitor General Elena Kagan urged the Supreme Court not to review the 2nd
| Circuit's ruling, which held that Cablevision's "network DVR" service did not
| infringe copyrights (download the brief here.)
`----

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2009/05/cablevision-network-dvr-supreme-court-obama-administration.html

Recent:

Plagiarising Canadian think tank who used tax dollars to shill for Big Content
refuses to back down

,----[ Quote ]
| The Conference Board of Canada, who were caught plagiarising in a report on
| the Digital Economy, produced at the Ontario tax-payers' expense, have
| responded. They claim it's not plagiarism or intellectual dishonesty that led
| them to copy-and-paste from an American entertainment lobby group's
| materials, it's just that the corporate mouthpieces of the record, film and
| software industries happened to have published the best, most balanced
| account of copyright in the digital age.
`----

http://www.boingboing.net/2009/05/25/plagiarising-canadia.html

The Conference Board of Canada's Deceptive, Plagiarized Digital Economy Report

,----[ Quote ]
| A third report titled National Innovation Performance and Intellectual
| Property Rights: A Comparative Analysis misleads by lamenting that Canada
| ranked 19th worldwide in intellectual property protection according to a 2008
| World Economic Forum study on competitiveness. What the report fails to
| mention is that Canada was actually tied with four other countries ranked
| 15th to 19th including the United States, which in the same paragraph is
| heralded as a leader in innovation whereas Canada is described a laggard.
`----

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/4000/125/

Conference Board of Canada admits that its publicly funded, plagiarized, biased
copyright "research" is junk

,----[ Quote ]

http://www.boingboing.net/2009/05/28/conference-board-of.html