Re: [News] Free Linux Phones Praised in Taipei Times, Google Expands Linux Efforts There

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Open ecosystems coming: MIC
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Google Inc, Apple Inc and Nokia Oyj have all jumped on the open source
> | bandwagon but to different degrees, said Joyce Chen (???), a mobile
> | communications analyst at MIC.
> |
> | For instance, Google?s Android operating system (OS) has an open
> | platform and open source code, while Nokia?s Symbian OS has an open
> | platform, with plans to follow Google?s footsteps and open up its source
> | code next year.
> `----
>
> http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/biz/archives/2009/03/11/2003438165
>
> Google launches Android team in Taiwan, preps "Cupcake"
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Google has launched an Android development team in Taiwan to provide
> | support to Taiwan-based hardware manufacturers, says an industry report.
> | Another story, meanwhile, reports that wireless carrier T-Mobile will
> | release Android's "Cupcake" update for its HTC-manufactured G1 phones in
> | April, adding a virtual keyboard.
> `----
>
> http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS2529315916.html?kc=rss
>

> Recent:
>
> Intel, Taiwan tag-team Moblin, WiMAX
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Intel and Taiwan's Ministry of Economic Affairs (MOEA) will jointly
> | establish an "enabling center" for Moblin, an open source toolkit and
> | software stack for developers targeting Intel's Atom processors.
> | Additionally, Intel Capital will invest $11.5 million in Taiwanese
> | carrier VMAX Telecom, with the aim of enabling Taiwan's first WiMAX
> | network.
> `----
>
> http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS7902712371.html?kc=rss
>

> CF files FTC complaint against Microsoft
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The Consumers' Foundation (CF), a private consumer watchdog, filed a
> | complaint yesterday with the Fair Trade Commission (FTC) against
> | Microsoft over the software giant's pulling Windows XP from the Taiwan
> | market in line with its migration to the new operating system Vista.
> |
> | The CF urged the government body to impose sanctions on Microsoft for
> | the termination of Windows XP sales in Taiwan.
> |
> | "We suggest that the FTC slap Microsoft with a heavy fine for impairing
> | market fairness," said CF Acting Chairman Hsieh Tien-jen while
> | delivering the complaint to the commission.
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | "Sixty-seven percent of local users want a return of XP to the market,"
> | he said, citing the results of another poll.
> |
> | He described Microsoft's marketing strategy as an abuse of consumer
> | rights.
> `----
>
> http://www.chinapost.com.tw/business/asia/%20taiwan/2008/08/16/170294
CF-files.htm

> Netbooks in Taiwan: low pricing getting lower
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | MsiwindThere's no guarantee that the trend will continue, but netbook
> | prices in Taiwan are dropping as the Intel Atom shortage disappears and
> | competition rises. Price drops include:
> |
> | * Asus Eee PC 700-series is down to $249
> | * Asus expects to reduce the Eee PC 1000 with Linux from $623 to under
> | $530, while the 1000H will drop $31 while the 901 will see a sale price
> | near $468
> | * Acer's Aspire One is down to $483 from $528
> `----
>
> http://www.jkontherun.com/2008/10/netbooks-in-tai.html
> Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)

Embedded Linux makes more money for Taiwan and China factories
and retailers in the west than all of micoshaft and appil combined.

Over 3 million+ embedded Linux gadgets sold PER DAY EVERY DAY.

Adding Linux mobile phones is the next best thing to be doing.
The benefit is that retailers can specify what other features
their Linux smart phones must have and get it relatively
freely installed and shipped in the next shipment.
Unlike windummy and appil products, you are not paying
micoshaft/appil royalties for their limited and useless products
to keep their developers and marketing plops alive.
With Linux you have 20,000+ applications ready to run on
the Linux smartphone free as in freedom. Just pay
for the customisation work, and you get your product shipped within
a few weeks. Retailers who don't engage their product
development manager to go out there to the Far East
have missed / are missing the boat / and the money they
could be earning from Linux.