[News] The Hollywood MAFIAA Sends Hired Guns to Washington to Essentially Illegalise Radio

  • Subject: [News] The Hollywood MAFIAA Sends Hired Guns to Washington to Essentially Illegalise Radio
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 02:19:19 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Mr. Corgan Goes to Washington to Lobby for Radio Royalties

,----[ Quote ]
| What the proposed law would mean is that while only Corgan gets paid if a
| Smashing Pumpkins song gets played on the radio, anyone who played an
| instrument on the track would also get paid. Plus, Corgan could get paid if a
| radio station plays a cover song of another band done by the Smashing
| Pumpkins.
`----

http://www.prefixmag.com/news/mr-corgan-goes-to-washington-to-lobby-for-radio-ro/26794/

How to Silence Talk Radio: Tax the Industry to Death

,----[ Quote ]
| Enter the politicians. Those (like me) who see the opportunity laid out
| before them to silence talk radio are chomping at the bit to orchestrate how
| this all unfolds.
|
| Obviously, by taxing radio to play music the result will be less music sales
| not more. If you tax something, you get less of it. Taxing music means less
| music. Less music means less sales. Less sales means less money.
`----

http://townhall.com/columnists/FrankPastore/2009/03/12/how_to_silence_talk_radio_tax_the_industry_to_death

Land of the Fee.

The moguls behave like criminals and adopt the same approach as Microsoft with
software patents lobbying.

Recent:

US politicians back Act to save internet radio

,----[ Quote ]
| A law that could save internet radio stations from having to make payouts
| they claim will cripple them has been approved by the US House of
| Representatives and is expected to pass into law.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09/29/internet_radio_act/

Internet radio strikes deal with music Mafiaa

,----[ Quote ]
| Previously, online radio stations would pay $0.000768 for each copyrighted
| tune they played, but in 2007 the US Copyright Royalty Board (CRB) tried to
| increase that figure by up to 1,200 per cent, which sent many a well-loved
| wibblecaster scurrying for the hills.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/09/24/internet-radio-strikes-deal

The Internet Radio Death Watch

,----[ Quote ]
| Don't forget, vast illegal file-sharing networks are still operating just a
| few clicks away. The RIAA's legal Whac-A-Mole has barely slowed them down. If
| this unfair royalty scheme kills off legal, legitimate businesses like
| Pandora and the recently shut-down Muxtape, those users will simply go
| somewhere else. And that destination is more likely to be BitTorrent than a
| record store. The record industry may think it is killing off Internet radio,
| but it's merely opening Pandora's box.

Pandora Reaching Its Epilogue?

,----[ Quote ]
| Many are predicting the upcoming demise of the company as a result of a
| federal panel ruling ordering them to pay twice the royalties to artists that
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| they already were.
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2008/08/18/pandora-reaching-its-epilogue

Pandora can't make money, may pull the plug

,----[ Quote ]
| Buckling under the weight of the Internet radio royalty hike that
| SoundExchange pushed through last July, Pandora may pull its own plug soon.
| Despite being one of the most popular Internet radio services, the company
| still isn't making money, and its founder, Tim Westergren, says it can't last
| beyond its first payment of the higher royalties

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080818-pandora-cant-make-money-may-pull-the-plug.html

Royalty fee 'to damage net radio'

,----[ Quote ]