[News] A Look at GNU/Linux Distributions: BeCrypt Trusted Client, Billix, RAMdisk

  • Subject: [News] A Look at GNU/Linux Distributions: BeCrypt Trusted Client, Billix, RAMdisk
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 09:21:42 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Securely booting from strangest of places

,----[ Quote ]
| The USB drive, called the BeCrypt Trusted Client, contains a stripped-down
| version of Linux, along with any applications you want to run. This setup
| would allow a government worker to run a secure session from anywhere by
| using the basic secure OS along with downloadable applications provided by
| Citrix software or some other client. The material on the drive is encrypted
| with either 128 bit or 256 bit Advanced Encryption Standard (AES). This
| device costs $100, though there is a discount with purchase of multiple
| devices.
`----

http://gcn.com/articles/2009/03/12/fose-bootable.aspx

The USB finger guy adds his two bits

,----[ Quote ]
| Jerry Jalava's sci-fi finger became a Web sensation after a friend of his
| blogged about the creation, noting that the drive was loaded with a version
| of Linux.
|
| Jalava clarified the situation on his blog last night. For one thing, it's
| not permanent. For another, it's loaded with more than just the Billix
| version of Linux.
`----

http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/brierdudley/2009/03/11/the_usb_finger_guy_adds_his_tw.html

High-security, RAMdisk Linux rev'd

,----[ Quote ]
| An interesting physical security-focused Linux distribution was upgraded a
| couple of days ago. Tin Hat Linux reportedly takes a Vista-like five minutes
| to boot, because its whole filesystem is decrypted and loaded from an optical
| drive onto a RAMdisk (tmpfs). But after that, it's likely Puppy-fast!
|
| [...]
|
| According to the Tin Hat project page, Tin Hat "aims towards the ideal of
| guaranteeing zero information loss should the attacker physically acquire the
| box -- either the adversary is faced with no file system to even begin
| cracking, or if any non-ephemeral memory is found, the adversary should not
| be able to tell if he is looking at encrypted data or random noise."
`----

http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS4951308355.html?kc=rss

Recent:

Death of the CD, a new world for Linux?

,----[ Quote ]
| I ask this, because, while we do in fact have distributions that run off pen
| drives, we don't have any way to write distros to flash cards yet.  And if
| the flash card is going to be the next medium of choice for music and movies,
| and likely all digital media, including software, how long will it be before
| people start demanding Linux distros that are capable of being installed from
| flash media?
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=514

Gdium Liberty Netbook Uses USB Key for a Hard Drive

,----[ Quote ]
| Here's a netbook with a twist: Emtec's 10-inch Gdium Liberty has no hard
| drive. Instead, it will ship with a bootable USB storage stick (dubbed the
| G-Key) that runs Mandriva G-Linux and has over 50 open-source applications
| pre-installed: including OpenOffice, Firefox, Thunderbird and Spam Assassin.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/156761/.html?tk=rss_main

EMTEC unveils new Gdium netbook

,----[ Quote ]