Re: [News] EU Laws Subverted by Paid Microsoft Shill Jonathan Zuck

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> EU open-source document reflects Microsoft influence
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | One such editor is Jonathan Zuck, president of the Association for
> | Competitive Technology, a lobbying organization with strong ties to
> | Microsoft. There is nothing wrong with Microsoft making its voice heard
> | in the software strategy development process,

There is everything wrong with corporations infiltrating government
through back doors. All of their efforts and lobbying need to be collated
on any matter and converted to just one vote.
This is normal practice and should be more vigourously enforced.

> as it stands to gain or
> | lose much in the process, but it does make for some interesting
> | political gamesmanship in the document.
> |
> | While the draft doesn't make it obvious who is saying what, there are
> | numerous instances where editors have tried to soften the appeal of open
> | source or downplay its significance, repeatedly trying to insist that
> | open source not be called out as more significant than proprietary
> | software.
> `----
>
> http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10193433-16.html
>

> Recent:
>
> How to Hijack an EU Open Source Strategy Paper
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Others as in Microsoft and mates.
> |
> | All-in-all, the modifications to the document provide a fascinating
> | insight into how lobbyists operate in their attempt to neuter threats to
> | their constituencies through the shameless evisceration and outright
> | inversion of content. Fortunately, when the final strategy document
> | comes out, we will be able to pinpoint exactly where ACT's agenda has
> | been inserted. Of course, before then we need to make the above document
> | as widely known as possible, so that the relevant people at the European
> | Union are aware of what's going on, and maybe even take action to
> | prevent this gross distortion of the paper's purpose.
> |
> | In addition, we must ensure that Wikileaks can continue to provide its
> | invaluable service. The world of openness ? including open source -
> | would be the poorer without it. To that end, we need to support its
> | current call for funds to help it carry on its work, and I urge you to
> | make a donation, however modest.
> `----
>
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/content
how-hijack-eu-open-source-strategy-paper