[News] New Version of FFmpeg, Introduction to Kino

An Interview With The Developers Of FFmpeg

,----[ Quote ]
| Earlier this week the FFmpeg project reached version 0.5, which was quite
| significant considering no new FFmpeg release was made available in years.
| This release contained a plethora of new encoders and decoders, support for
| VDPAU, a variety of bug-fixes, and many other improvements. What is next for
| FFmpeg? When will we see proper Blu-ray support? Will there be a 1.0 release
| in the foreseeable future? To answer these questions plus others, I spoke
| with three of the main FFmpeg developers about this very popular -- and
| important -- open-source multimedia project.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ffmpeg_05_interview&num=1

Video Editing Made Easy with Kino!

,----[ Quote ]
| There are lots of good tools in the Free Open Source Software world for
| capturing and editing video, but common to making almost any movie is a basic
| understanding of the steps to building a good story using a storyboard
| editor. This article will help you take the very first step toward creating a
| movie by using the very simple storyboard video editing program called Kino
| to create a story.
`----

http://blog.worldlabel.com/2009/kino-was-born-to-tell-stories.html

Recent:

Top 10 Free Video Editors for Ubuntu Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| I earlier wrote about  Top 5 BitTorrent Clients for Ubuntu Linux, 7 Awesome
| 3D Graphic Design Applications for Linux and 23 Free Ubuntu Linux Login
| Screens. Today I’m going to write about some of the best Video editing tools
| for Ubuntu Linux because Linux itself doesn’t offer any default or built-in
| video editor application but there are tens of third party software for Linux
| you can use to add effects to your videos and do a lot more.
`----

http://techcityinc.com/2009/02/top-10-free-video-editors-for-ubuntu-linux/

Apple eats video editing jobs

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, yes indeed. Step forward Object Matrix and its MatrixStore. It's a
| clusterable set of nodes, three at a minimum, with each node having up to
| 24TB of SATA disk storage (1TB drives) and Linux x86 server running the
| MatrixStore software. The capacity is no problem for now as a 50x4TB node
| setup has been tested and the company says 24TB nodes would work just as
| well, meaning a 1.2PB cluster is feasible.
|
| Object Matrix is primarily a software company and makes its technology
| available, in the UK only at present, as an integrated hardware and software
| product with Linux cluster nodes or as software only for Mac OS nodes.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12/01/video_editing_online_archives/

7 Free Open Source Video Editors For Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Avidemux is a free video editor used mainly for simple cutting, filtering and
| encoding tasks. It is often dubbed as the VirtualDub for Linux as it can do
| many things that VirtualDub can do. It supports many files types, including
| avi, DVD compatible mpeg files, mp4, asf and even the not-so-common ogm and
| matroska format.
|
| Some of the useful features of Avidemux include a simple WYSIWYG interface,
| easy conversion from one format to another, plenty of filtering effects and a
| built-in subtitles processing capabilities.
`----

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/7-free-open-source-video-editor-for-linux/

KDE 4 Video Editor Kdenlive Released

,----[ Quote ]
| The promising nonlinear video editor Kdenlive has made its first non beta for
| KDE 4, version 0.7 is on us. This closes another gap of the free desktop
| world: a usable open source video editor. Kdenlive has the potential to
| become the Amarok or K3b of video editors, offering comfort and elegance so
| far not available in alternative programs. The feature set looks amazingly
| complete and far exceeds the KDE 3 version already. Check the release
| announcement.
`----

http://dot.kde.org/1228076951/

Video Editing in Linux: Kino v Open Movie v KdenLive

,----[ Quote ]
| Out of the 3 programs previewed, I liked Kdenlive the best, but not having
| the Title show up was a real bummer. Kdenlive could eventually become my
| editor of choice by the time it gets to 1.0 status. The trick is going to be
| to keep the development moving and thus keep my interest alive. This type of
| progression is what has helped Linux reach critical mass as desktop choice.
`----

http://desktoplinux.wordpress.com/2008/08/10/video-editing-in-linux-kino-v-open-movie-v-kdenlive/

Related:

Hollywood, Linux, and CinePaint at FOSDEM 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| At first, studios had no choice but to develop Linux applications in house.
| The film industry has millions of lines of Linux code, both desktop
| applications and server pipelines. Studio Linux programmers write code in
| C++, Python, Perl, and Java. What does all this secret proprietary Linux code
| do? And, why do they do parallel programming with grid computing? How does
| the film industry use renderfarms with thousands of CPUs?
`----

http://linuxgazette.net/147/rowe.html

DreamWorks wins an award for its innovative use of Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Behind that effort sits Ed Leonard, chief technology officer at DreamWorks,
| who has been recognized for his work with an Annie Award for "promoting the
| Linux open system for animation in animation studios and gaming software
| development."
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9865829-16.html

Linux Goes Hollywood With New Terra Soft Film Rendering Tool

,----[ Quote ]
| Y-Film is a product formed from two separate applications. The first is a
| cluster construction suite supported by Terra Soft's Y-HPC platform. The
| second is the Artist Productivity and Asset Management Tools developed by
| Scott Frankel, president and VFX supervisor at Circle-S Studios and the lead
| developer of Y-Film. The tool set runs on x86 Linux, Power Linux and Mac OS
| X.

Linux in Hollywood

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=636VZ_R-NVs

Studios Using Linux