Re: [News] John Dvorak Dumps Windows for GNU/Linux, Disappointed with BetaVista7

____/ Chris Ahlstrom on Tuesday 10 March 2009 11:29 : \____

> After takin' a swig o' grog, Tim Smith belched out
>   this bit o' wisdom:
>
>> In article <MGjtl.15170$19.14666@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>>  "DFS" <nospam@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>>
>>> You're a liar, Spamowitz, as always.  Dvorak didn't say one word about
>>> dumping Windows/Vista, nor did he mention Win7.
>>
>> So, Schestowitz lied about another article.  In equally regular and
>> predictable news, the Sun rose today.
>
> He made you look at the article, eh?  ;->
>
> Sort of.
>
>    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2342703,00.asp
>
>    I cannot wean myself off Windows altogether because, well, I write about
>    Windows. But for ancillary machines that I put together where I need
>    reliability and low price, I'm always going to see whether Ubuntu works.
>    And if it does, that's what gets installed.
>
>    If I had a small or mid-size company, I'd probably use only Linux and
>    open-source software, just to stay out of the way of the software police
>    and their onerous "audits"---another abhorrent situation that, to me,
>    is intolerable.
>
> Well, Tim, I consider myself to have dumped Windows, in much the same
> manner.  If they said "We're rewriting all our software for Linux" at work,
> I'd be ecstatic... wouldn't miss Windows in the least.
>
> However, /Roy/, I'd have written the Subject this way:
>
>    Dvorak tired of being dumped on by Windows

Someone in IRC said he had dumped it.

http://slashdot.org/firehose.pl?op=view&id=3690761 ("Dvorak Ditches Windows.")

Overstatement, I guess.

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: ~70% of organisms are bacteria
 14:05:01 up 6 days, 23 min,  2 users,  load average: 1.14, 1.26, 1.20