Re: Great Quote from Microsoft (Shot in Foot)

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> This one is for the books:
> http://ec.europa.eu/competition/antitrust/cases/decisions/37792/en.pdf
>
> 'In fact, Microsoft can behave independently of its end-customers.
> Microsoft is fully aware of this, as is shown by the following excerpts
> from Microsoft's internal communication:
>
>         "The Windows API is so broad, so deep, and so functional that most
>         ISVs would
> be crazy not to use it. And it is so deeply embedded in the source code of
> many Windows apps that there is a huge switching cost to using a different
> operating system instead.
>
>         [...]
>
>         It is this switching cost that has given customers the patience to
>         stick with
> Windows through all our mistakes, our buggy drivers, our high TCO, our
> lack of a sexy vision at times, and many other difficulties. [...]
> Customers constantly evaluate other desktop platforms, [but] it would be
> so much work to move over that they hope we just improve Windows rather
> than force them to move.
>
>         In short, without this exclusive franchise called the Windows API,
>         we would
> have been dead a long time ago."'

That's just common knowledge, known by all but the Wintrolls who mistakenly
believe Linux has difficulty pentrating the desktop market because the M$
way is superior to all other alternatives.  The reality is the market is
locked into their Windows investments, and M$ knows it.