[News] Big Proprietary 'Buddies' of Microsoft to Shed Off Staff

Novell's SUSE Linux futures

,----[ Quote ]
| Novell is in trouble. As Novell CFO Dana Russell said during the recent
| earnings call, "Our Linux business is dependent on large deals, which may
| result in some fluctuations of our quarterly invoicing. This quarter, we did
| not sign any large deals, many of which have been historically fulfilled by
| Microsoft certificates."
|
| Novell first partnered up with Microsoft to boost its Linux business. Now, it
| appears Novell needs Microsoft to keep its head above water.
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/novells_suse_linux_futures

Apple laying off 50 sales staff due to economy, enterprise

,----[ Quote ]
| After making itself appear impervious to economic conditions, Apple has
| reportedly shown 50 enterprise sales workers the exit in a low-key move that
| refocuses the company.
`----

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/03/09/apple_laying_off_50_sales_staff_due_to_economy_enterprise.html

Recent:

Microsoft slashes rates for temp workers, blaming bad economy

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft, citing the "realities of a deteriorating economy," will reduce by
| 10 percent the amount it pays employment agencies for many of its temporary
| workers -- and cut by 15 percent the target billing rate for future temporary
| work.
`----

http://www.techflash.com/microsoft/Microsoft_slashes_rates_for_temp_workers_blaming_bad_economy_40321577.html

Microsoft reaffirms grim outlook for year

,----[ Quote ]
| Shares of Microsoft sank 58 cents, or 3.4 percent, to $16.63 in midday
| trading amid a broader market sell-off.
`----

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2008780059_apmicrosoftanalystmeeting.html?syndication=rss

Microsoft's Razorfish Cuts Another 70 (MSFT)

,----[ Quote ]
| Fresh layoffs at Microsoft-owned (MSFT) ad agency Razorfish, with 70
| employees being let go (4% of the workforce) in Seattle, Portland, San Fran,
| and LA. That follows thousands of layoffs at Microsoft generally, and 40
| positions cut from Razorfish in New York in November.
`----

http://www.businessinsider.com/2009/2/microsofts-razorfish-cuts-another-70-msft

Razorfish cuts more staff

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft's online ad agency Razorfish is slashing staff again. The agency
| laid off 70 employees yesterday in its West coast offices of Seattle,
| Portland, San Francisco and Los Angeles. The job cuts follow two other rounds
| of layoffs last  year, in October and December.
`----

http://www.techflash.com/microsoft/Razorfish_cuts_more_staff39238862.html

Microsoft won't disclose full extent of job cuts

,----[ Quote ]
| So, in short, we're not going to be getting much more info from Microsoft. We
| do have to say though, considering all the nice, helpful people that have
| recently lost their gigs, that last sentence is pretty icy.
`----

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/01/27/microsoft-wont-disclose-full-extent-of-job-cuts/

Microsoft should have made deeper cuts, analysts contend

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.techflash.com/microsoft/Microsoft_should_have_made_deeper_cuts_analysts_contend38239219.html