[News] Wine Gets Better, DirectX 10 Support Comes to GNU/Linux

New PlayOnLinux helper plugin adds winetricks integration

,----[ Quote ]
| NSLW posted on the PlayOnLinux forums about the new helper plugin he wrote. I
| have posted this news here in the hopes that PlayOnLinux users will download
| and help test the plugin. The feature list is impressive for a first release,
| with some testing and input im sure it will only improve over time...
|
| I wrote a application which makes PlayOnLinux more ergonomically usable. The
| program can be freely redistributed and executed. It is written in GTK and it
| meets the needs of the PlayOnLinux community.
`----

http://www.wine-reviews.net/wine-reviews/playonlinux/new-playonlinux-helper-plugin-adds-winetricks-integration.html

CodeWeavers Working On New GUI, DirectX 10

,----[ Quote ]
| CodeWeavers, the company behind the WINE-based CrossOver Office and CrossOver
| Games for running Windows office applications and games, respectively, on
| Linux (and Mac OS X) has shared some of their plans for 2009. Among the items
| they are getting ready for is DirectX 10 support and a new GUI for its
| CrossOver software.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzEzMQ

Recent:

Windows Unix Subsystem finally catches up to Wine

,----[ Quote ]
| This is just some interesting reading you guys might enjoy. It seems, the
| Unix subsystem will give you the ability to create a mixed application able
| to call Win32 and Unix functionality. In effect PSX becomes like wineserver
| and you have to wrap your win32 libs as posix libraries. (sound familure).
`----

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.wine.devel/67863

Bringing WINE Into Ubuntu Main

,----[ Quote ]
| Scott Ritchie, an Ubuntu MOTU, has proposed that WINE be moved into Ubuntu's
| Main repository thereby making it shipping with Ubuntu by default in some
| form.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjkyOA

Related:

Does WINE + Linux support more Windows apps than Vista?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://jagtalon.wordpress.com/2007/04/30/does-wine-linux-support-more-apps-than-vista/