[News] System76 Notebooks with GNU/Linux Preloaded Receives 9 Out of 10

System76 Serval Professional Notebook

,----[ Quote ]
| Finding a laptop that can run Linux is no longer much of a challenge. As we
| have shared in numerous netbook and notebook reviews, a majority off the
| shelf PCs shipping with Windows can easily be replaced with Linux and chances
| are most -- if not all -- of the components will "just work" on this
| open-source operating system, while ill-supported parts can usually be
| configured to work in just a few steps. For those looking to save time or
| avoid a potential headache, Dell, Hewlett-Packard, and other major vendors
| have been offering Linux notebooks for some time now. One of the smaller
| vendors though that has been offering Ubuntu Linux notebooks (along with
| desktops and servers) is System76 Inc. This Colorado-based company not only
| ensures their hardware is 100% compatible with Ubuntu Linux, but they also
| preload some popular software packages that are not installed by default on
| Ubuntu. In this review we are looking at the System76 Serval Professional
| notebook.
|
| [...]
|
| If you don't mind paying more for a notebook that ships with Ubuntu and is
| guaranteed to run nicely with Linux -- along with supporting a vendor that is
| centered around the Linux ecosystem -- the System76 Serval Professional is a
| notebook worth considering for your next purchase.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=system76_serval_pro&num=1

"We should dedicate a cross-group team to come up with ways to leverage Windows
technically more."

                --Jim Allchin, Microsoft felon

Recent:

System76 Launches Biometric Ubuntu Linux Laptop

,----[ Quote ]
| As big PC companies like Hewlett-Packard finally push into desktop Linux,
| WorksWithU will give equal time to the industry pioneers that evangelized
| desktop Linux before it went mainstream. A case in point: System76 continued
| its long-term Linux commitment today by launching the Gazelle Ultra
| (pictured) — an Ubuntu laptop with some pretty slick hardware specs and a
| biometric fingerprint reader for security.
`----

http://www.workswithu.com/2008/12/12/system76-launches-biometric-ubuntu-linux-laptops/

Review: ZaReason Makes Desktop Linux A Breeze

,----[ Quote ]
| The Bottom Line: If you need a basic, low-end PC without the hassles and
| security concerns tied to Windows, ZaReason’s Breeze is a breathe of fresh
| air.
`----

http://www.workswithu.com/2008/12/12/review-zareason-makes-desktop-linux-a-breeze/

Related:

Talking Ubuntu Linux: Q&A with System76 President Carl Richell

,----[ Quote ]
| All About Ubuntu: What types of customers do you expect to purchase your
| latest Ubuntu servers?
|
| Richell: We are already providing servers to small businesses, schools,
| governments, and enterprises. The broad utility of Ubuntu as an operating
| system and the expanding capabilities of x86 hardware opens Ubuntu server
| products to a large and diverse market.
`----

http://allaboutubuntu.wordpress.com/2008/03/09/talking-ubuntu-linux-qa-with-system76-president-carl-richell/
http://tinyurl.com/2kcwh4

System76 Announces Servers with Ubuntu 7.10 and Canonical Support Services

,----[ Quote ]
| System76 Inc., a leading provider of Ubuntu pre-installed laptops and
| desktops, introduces the first available line of certified, pre-installed
| servers featuring Ubuntu 7.10 Server Edition -- delivering a new choice in
| quality server platforms.
`----

http://www.emediawire.com/releases/2008/2/prweb721683.htm

ZaReason's MegaLap is a desktop replacement with an Ubuntu twist

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/130446