[News] Cisco Uses Free Software (and Linux) for Competitive Advantage

Sneaky Cisco plots to take over Microsoft's world

,----[ Quote ]
| [T]here's another company that is increasingly setting its sights on
| Microsoft, and it's doing so largely unnoticed. The company is networking
| giant Cisco, which through a mix of open-source software and collaboration
| technology is launching a credible campaign to deep-six Microsoft's desktop
| dominance.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10191441-16.html

Recent:

Is Open Source Ready To Get The Message?

,----[ Quote ]
| Earlier this week, Cisco announced that it will offer an email-security
| offering as both a fully hosted and a hybrid service. While the announcement
| focuses mostly on Cisco's IronPort business unit, Cisco also acknowledged
| that its email security offering will dovetail with its plans to build a
| hosted email offering based on technology acquired from PostPath.
`----

http://www.bmighty.com/blog/main/archives/2009/03/is_open_source.html

Cisco's PostPath to Linux powered hosted email

,----[ Quote ]
| It will be interesting to see how the PostPath technology furthers Cisco's
| Linux interest as well since Cisco tends not to do things on a small scale. A
| large Linux powered hosted email system will no doubt result in scalability
| and performance improvement that could well extend behind the confines of
| Cisco itself and benefit the broader open source ecosystem.
`----

http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2009/03/ciscos-postpath-to-linux-power.html

Cisco Goes Deep for Linux and Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| Without much fanfare or self-congratulations, networking giant Cisco Systems
| has become one of the top contributors to the Linux kernel and an active
| contributor to the broader open source community.
|
| It's a message that Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) isn't boasting about yet, but was
| willing to discuss with InternetNews.com. Cisco is the world's largest
| networking vendor and a technology juggernaut that is seeing the value in
| using and contributing to open source.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/infra/article.php/3807436/Cisco+Goes+Deep+for+Linux+and+Open+Source.htm

Cisco: Huge international interest in developer contest

,----[ Quote ]
| Cisco Systems Inc. has claimed that international interest in its recently
| launched contest for router-centric application development has been so
| strong that it must extend the first-phase deadline from Jan. 12 to Feb. 27.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9125122&source=rss_topic122

Should open source boycott Cisco’s contest?

,----[ Quote ]
| While lawyers debate the merits of the FSF’s suit against Cisco, open source
| developers may be asking themselves how they can make their views heard.
|
| Here’s an idea. Boycott Cisco’s contest.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=3264

Vyatta: Beating Cisco with open networks

,----[ Quote ]
| Vyatta, the open-source networking company, has been turning on the heat
| lately against Cisco, the networking giant. Even as Cisco expands beyond its
| networking base with collaboration products, Vyattas sole focus remains
| beating Cisco network performance at rock-bottom prices.
`----

http://www.yourcommunicationnews.com/vyatta+beating+cisco+with+open+networks_20109.html

Cisco Offers $100,000 Bounty to Linux Application Developers

,----[ Quote ]
| Cisco is offering $100,000 in prize money to Linux application
| developers that help the networking giant defeat Microsoft in the
| unified communications market. The initiative focuses on network-aware
| applications written for Cisco’s AXP (Application Extension Platform)
| and Integrated Services Routers (ISRs).
`----

http://www.thevarguy.com/2008/11/26/cisco-offers-100000-bounty-to-linux-application-developers/

Related:

Can Microsoft and Cisco Still Be Pals?

,----[ Quote ]
| That puts it in direct competition with Microsoft, which is No. 2
| with its Live Meeting service. Microsoft's big push will come in
| June when it begins producing a host of products, including Microsoft
| Office Communicator 2007.
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/content/may2007/db20070509_476708.htm?campaign_id=yhoo
http://tinyurl.com/2pt3yw

Cisco CEO: 'Microsoft Has Given Us a Three-Year Lead'

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has given us a three-year lead. And we've never lost a
| game when we've had a three-year lead... It's a battle we fully
| intend to win.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/070405/31630_id.html?.v=1

Microsoft's Worst Nightmare (Nope, Not Google)

,----[ Quote ]
| The Cisco/Linksys drive into the home follows an absolutely miserable
| effort by Microsoft, which had a first-mover advantage but blew it in
| favor of its Xbox gaming play. Maybe Microsoft figured the timing just
| wasn't right. In any case, Microsoft angered a lot of digital home
| integrators who were hoping for some support to break open the
| market.
`----

http://www.crn.com/digital-home/198700830

Cisco benefits as Microsoft keeps moving the goalposts

,----[ Quote ]