[News] Journalists Spied on in the UK as Well

Revealed: police databank on thousands of protesters

,----[ Quote ]
| Police surveillance teams are also ­targeting journalists who cover
| demonstrations, and are believed to have ­monitored members of the press
| during at least eight protests over the last year.
`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/mar/06/police-surveillance-protesters-journalists-climate-kingsnorth

The NSA spies on journalists too. Someone blew the whistle.

Recent:

Manchester man arrested for alleged sewer-grate photography, held as a
terrorist

,----[ Quote ]
| Still think that if you're innocent, you have nothing to fear from
| surveillance and control laws? Have a look at this news-video about Stephen
| Clarke, a man who was accused to taking pictures of sewer-gratings in
| Manchester and arrested. Though the police couldn't find any photos of
| sewer-gratings on his phone (and even though "what a sewer grating looks
| like" isn't a piece of specialized terrorist intelligence), he was held on
| suspicion of planning an act of terror, imprisoned for two days while the
| police searched his home, his phone and his computer.
`----

http://www.boingboing.net/2009/03/03/manchester-man-arres.html

No Photo Ban in Subways, Yet an Arrest

,----[ Quote ]
| Finished with his camera, Mr. Taylor, 30, was about to board the train when a
| police officer called to him. He stepped back from the train.
|
| “The cop wanted my ID, and I showed it to him,” Mr. Taylor said. “He told me
| I couldn’t take the pictures. I told him that’s not true, that the rules
| permitted it. He said I was wrong. I said, ‘I’m willing to bet your
| paycheck.’ ”
|
| Mr. Taylor was right. The officer was enforcing a nonexistent rule. And if
| recent experience is any guide, one paycheck won’t come close to covering
| what a wrongful arrest in this kind of case could cost the taxpayers.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/18/nyregion/18about.html?_r=3

Elderly woman prohibiting from photographing empty swimming pool "to prevent
paedophilia"

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.boingboing.net/2008/07/25/elderly-woman-prohib.html