[News] Another GNU/Linux Desktop Environment for Pentium 133s

Improved Linux Screen Space Management With PekWM

,----[ Quote ]
| PekWM is extremely lightweight making it ideal for legacy hardware. I had an
| old Pentium 133 system with just 32MB of RAM which finally died last summer.
| It ran a minimal build of Ubuntu with a desktop consisting of PekWM and
| fbpanel.
`----

http://broadcast.oreilly.com/2009/03/improved-linux-screen-space-ma.html

Recent:

Linux Monday: Pushing the envelope on old gear

,----[ Quote ]
| Old computers are less than a dime a dozen—-literally. I pick them up for
| free, either through a wonderful group called Freecycle or literally off the
| street. I live in a college town and at moving time, that old desktop from
| freshman year isn't worth packing. So some local geek like me comes along and
| turns it into a Linux box. (I have yet to have achieve my dream of someone
| actually paying me to take one away.) Or, if it's really old, I strip it for
| the usable parts.
|
| [...]
|
| There's a few specialty Linux distributions geared toward low-low end
| machines. Puppy Linux, for example, will run on a 166MHz processor and 128MB
| of memory. Damn Small Linux takes that even lower--a 486 processor and 8 MB
| of RAM. Given the lower specs, and the fact that I preferred the mild
| profanity name to the cutesy name, I started with DSL. The download was also
| damn small, a mere 50 meg. I though for a moment I'd lost my connection, but
| no, it was done.
`----

http://jdeeth.blogspot.com/2009/02/software-as-subversive-activity-part-12.html

Related:

A first look at DeLi Linux 0.7.2, a distribution for very old computers

,----[ Quote ]
| The installed Firefox version performed rather well on my ancient
| laptop, much better than expected. It is recommended that your
| machine have at least 32 MB RAM before attempting to use it.
`----

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20070521#feature

DeLi Linux 0.7.2 [Released]

,----[ Quote ]
| DeLi Linux 0.7.2 is out... DeLi Linux stands for "Desktop Light" Linux.
| It is a Linux Distribution for old computers, from 486 to Pentium II or so.
`----

http://delili.lens.hl-users.com/

Review of Damn Small Linux 3.2

,----[ Quote ]