Re: [News] Vista 7 Stinks Badly on Sub-notebooks, GNU/Linux to Capitalise

Matt wrote:
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

math: Windows 7 + netbook = failure - GNU/Linux as remaining winner!
,----[ Quote ]
| Windows XP is basically gone, so an OEM license is worth 20 USD for a | manufacturer, no problem at all. Windows 7 for Netbooks is the same as all | other Windows 7 variants - no lean, light, vlighted, 7lited or whatever. Just | a Starter version like in Windows Vista which gives you the "power" to run | maximum 3 applications at the same time. Where again is the advantage? Oh | yes, now Windows 7 Starter crippled edition costs a bit more than 20 USD for | OEM, I would say around 99 USD after discounts, tax not included or did you | think MS stops earning money? `----

MS stops /earning/ money?  ...

MS stops /getting/ money? They never have gotten much money from Windows on netbooks.

Apparently this joker FANCOLLO thinks MS is going to charge the same for W7 on netbooks as they do on desktops. It is completely unrealistic, yet that is what he assumes.

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10012288o-2000637757b,00.htm

My guess is that OEMs will license Windows 7 starter edition for a similar price as XP ($20 - $25) so that MS can continue to compete on price with Linux. Expect to see lots of Starter edition on the lower end Netbooks. Then MS will hope that the majority of purchasers will find Starter edition to be too limiting and will use the Anytime Upgrade feature to upgrade to a higher version of Windows for $'s. The higher end Netbooks will ship with Windows 7 Home Premium from the start but at a higher price. Starter edition becomes essentially a loss leader that can compete against the Linux versions with the possibility of MS gaining significant revenue from those that upgrade at likely $100 a pop.

This could backfire on MS if the limited capabilities of starter edition turn people off Windows 7. Rather than upgrading Windows 7 to a higher version for $'s some folks could replace it with Ubuntu for free. The problem is many of the current Linux models also have capabilities limited by default so people may accept a limited version of Windows 7 as the default. Time will tell.