Re: [News] Success for GNU/Linux at Dell: 1 in 3 Sub-notebooks Runs Ubuntu

____/ Mark Kent on Friday 06 March 2009 21:37 : \____

> Terry Porter <linux-2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>>> One Third of Dell Inspiron Mini 9s Sold Run Linux
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>

>> http://blog.laptopmag.com/one-third-of-dell-inspiron-mini-9s-sold-run-linux
>>>
>>> ASUS says 40% (see below).
>>
>> Which will only increase as they start using Android on the EEEPC.
>>

> And yet more with the recession.  Why pay £100s for Windows to run
> slowly, and have your bank details stolen when you can have Linux for
> free and remain secure.

Microsoft saw this coming. And now it does:

Google CEO hints Google/Linux netbooks may be coming

,----[ Quote ]
| We've gone from pure speculation, to speculation based on facts, and now
| Google's CEO is talking about how much sense this kind of idea makes. I
| hereby predict that we'll see the first netbooks with an official Google
| Linux desktop on them by the second half of this year. It will happen that
| quickly because Google won't want to give Microsoft a chance to regroup with
| Windows 7 from its Vista disaster.
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/google_ceo_hints_google_linux_netbooks_may_be_coming

Will Google be smart enough to use ARM?

Also today:

Android attack

,----[ Quote ]
| In what would be its most direct challenge to Microsoft to date, Google is
| said to be planning to offer Android, an operating system it developed for
| smartphones, on a new generation of mini laptop computers. Can Google unseat
| Windows on PCs?
`----

http://free.financialmail.co.za/09/0306/technology/atech.htm

Google's market cap will soon leapfrog that of Microsoft. I can envision
Microsoft executives (well, the one who hasn't jumped ship like his
colleagues) fuming.

What will you buy then? 2 Linux computers with OpenOffice.org or one boxed copy
(no hardware) of Office.NET OOXML edition?

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Ribbon-type shortcuts in Palm handhelds leads to SMS talk. We must we
abbreviate?
Cpu(s): 22.6%us,  5.0%sy,  0.1%ni, 70.6%id,  1.3%wa,  0.0%hi,  0.4%si,  0.0%st