[News] The Patent System Cracked by Patent Trolls

Patent reform needed more than ever

,----[ Quote ]
| Consider this: Of the 20 patent lawsuits filed against Google since late
| 2007, all but two have been filed by plaintiffs who don’t make or sell any
| real product or service — in other words, by non-practicing entities
| or “patent trolls.” Most of these cases seem to feature the same small set of
| contingent fee plaintiff's lawyers asserting patent claims against the same
| small set of companies. We've also noticed a more disturbing trend: in many
| of these cases, the patents being asserted against us are owned by — and in a
| surprising number of cases, are even “invented” by — patent lawyers
| themselves.
`----

http://googlepublicpolicy.blogspot.com/2009/03/patent-reform-needed-more-than-ever.html

90% of companies suing Google are patent trolls

,----[ Quote ]
| Google has published a statement on their Public Policy Blog stating that 90%
| of companies suing them for patent infringement were non practicing entities,
| or patent trolls. Google goes on by clarifying that in lots of cases, the
| patents are "invented" by the patent lawyers themselves.
`----

http://stopsoftwarepatents.org/forum/t-135879/90-of-companies-suing-google-are-patent-trolls

Recent:

Intellectual Property Regime Stifles Science and Innovation, Nobel Laureates
Say

,----[ Quote ]
| Patent monopolies are believed to drive innovation but they actually impede
| the pace of science and innovation, Stiglitz said. The current “patent
| thicket,” in which anyone who writes a successful software programme is sued
| for alleged patent infringement, highlights the current IP system’s failure
| to encourage innovation, he said.
|
| Another problem is that the social returns from innovation do not accord with
| the private returns associated with the patent system, Stiglitz said. The
| marginal benefit from innovation is that an idea may become available sooner
| than it might have. But the person who secures the patent on it wins a
| long-term monopoly, creating a gap between private and social returns.
`----

http://www.ip-watch.org/weblog/index.php?p=1129

Economist Critic of Software Patents gets Nobel Prize

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://press.ffii.org/Press_releases/Economist_Critic_of_Software_Patents_gets_Nobel_Prize