[News] Smartphones Turn to Linux Turf

Smartphones: they're all about Linux, baby

,----[ Quote ]
| iPhone challengers Palm Pre as well as HTC's Dream and Magic have one thing
| in common: Linux-based operating systems. We look at why Linux is so good for
| smartphones.
`----

http://apcmag.com/linux-powers-iphones-loudest-contenders-.htm

Mobile-phone Competition Heats up as Sales Slow

,----[ Quote ]
| The slower growth is creating an opportunity for new entrants in the
| smartphone market. In-Stat believes that smartphones with the Linux operating
| system will see the most growth, though they will be second-best in volume
| behind Symbian. That means Linux will outpace Windows Mobile, RIM and the
| iPhone, In-Stat said.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/160646/mobilephone_competition_heats_up_as_sales_slow.html

Recent:

Smartphones Will Double Their Share of the Handset Market by 2013, According to
In-Stat

,----[ Quote ]
| Smartphones with Linux OS (including Android) will see the highest growth and
| the second highest volume behind Symbian. Linux OS will outpace Windows
| Mobile, RIM and iPhone OSX.
`----

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20090302005555&newsLang=en

Google’s Android May Challenge Microsoft in Portables

,----[ Quote ]
| Google started Android in 2007 as part of an industry effort to create a free
| software system for phones. Based on the Linux operating system, Android is
| open to any programmer who wants to develop features for it. T-Mobile USA
| Inc., the fourth- biggest wireless carrier in the U.S., offers an Android
| phone called the G1.
`----

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=azdqc9vK2gfg&refer=us

Motorola disses Windows Mobile: Android "more competitive"

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2009/02/motorola-says-android-more-competitive-than-windows-mobile.ars