[News] How Beginners Find GNU/Linux a Suitable Platform

The Reality of Using Linux Every Day

,----[ Quote ]
| My opinion is that the distros aimed at general users and developed to a high
| level--mainly, Ubuntu--is more than ready for everyday computer users.
|
| [...]
|
| The reality of using Linux everyday is that it is not a burden. The reality
| is that I don't have to stress over my system. I have no viruses, no trojans.
| My computer runs extremely fast, and that's with a heavy system like Ubuntu
| on it. I have the software I need to do anything and everything 95% of
| computer users do. It works without issue. It is 'free'. I can swap distros
| if I get bored. I can change the menu system to work however I would like. I
| can enable eye-candy until my head explodes. I can choose what updates to
| install.
|
| If you're tired of Windows, and you can't afford a Mac, then seriously give
| Linux a serious try, because it's not as horrible as you might think.
`----

http://laptoplogic.com/resources/the-reality-of-using-linux-every-day

The Argument for Buying Linux Pre-Installed

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the things you hear a lot is that Macs “just work.” As nicely
| described in this article, Linux “just works” just as well if you only run it
| on hardware it was designed to run on. I would like to take the post one step
| further, though. I would recommend that new Linux users, perhaps after
| testing out the Live CD for a bit, should actually buy a computer with Linux
| pre-installed.
`----

http://www.linuxloop.com/news/2009/03/04/the-argument-for-buying-linux-pre-installed/

Migrating to Linux in 5 Steps

,----[ Quote ]
| Migrating to Linux doesn’t have to be difficult. All you have to do is, get a
| fresh copy of your favorite distro, backup your data, find out what hardware
| is compatible, identify essential programs, and have a fresh hard drive or
| partition ready to go.
`----

http://www.nixtutor.com/linux/migrating-to-linux-in-5-steps/

"There's a lot of Linux out there -- much more than Microsoft generally signals
publicly -- and their customers are using it..."

                --Paul DeGroot, a Directions On Microsoft analyst.

Related:

Another tremendous surprise

,----[ Quote ]
`----