Re: [News] Google to Promote GNU/Linux on Sub-notebooks, Offer Subsidies

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Google boss backs subsidized Linuxbooks
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Google CEO Eric Schmidt has hinted that his company - or at least its
> | partners - will one day subsidize the purchase of extra-low-cost Linux
> | netbooks in an effort to promote the use of its myriad cloud online
> | services.
> `----
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/04/schmidt_on_netbooks/

Linux netbooks are now cheap as calculators in the 70's
and as powerful as big desktops of 3 years back with Linux
running on it.

With the imminent show of ARM netbooks, the prices like
for calculators will hopefully go where commodities like
calculators went. Today we buy calculators
for a pound in pound shops. Who knows in ten years
we buy laptops for 10 pounds in 10 pound shops.