[News] Copyrights Cartel Gone Too Far

Electronic Books and the Myth of Ownership

,----[ Quote ]
| Some details have leaked out about the impending Google book store.  Richard
| Sarnoff, chairman of the Association of American Publishers identified some
| of the restrictions publishers are placing on electronic content.  One is
| that all purchases will stay on Google's servers with bits and pieces
| transmitted to the reader.  Obviously the publishers are a paranoid bunch
| concerned about piracy.  The lesson of the music industry is not lost on
| them.  Access to books will exist as long as Google supports the book store.
| If Google abandons the market the purchases go bye-bye.  That should be a
| real incentive for the masses to buy electronic books readable on cell phones
| and portable computers.  Google gets something out of this as well.  A Google
| ID is required to access the electronic library.  That means opportunities to
| introduce people to Google Apps, Gmail, Chrome, and other Google services.
`----

http://lawprofessors.typepad.com/tech_law_prof/2009/02/electronic-book.html

Neil Young (And Warner Music) Should Learn To Respect YouTube... And Music Fans

,----[ Quote ]
| After Warner Music got greedy and demanded money from YouTube that the
| company is under no legal obligation to pay (safe harbors, people), Google
| and YouTube demonstrated to Warner Music how little leverage the record label
| has by taking down all Warner Music videos. This is making plenty of Warner
| musicians quite angry with Warner Music for pissing off their fans and in
| some cases breaking the artists' own websites.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090303/0227113963.shtml

The Pirate Bay - Innocent or Guilty?

,----[ Quote ]
| After two weeks of live broadcasted hearings on the Internet, the ‘Spectrial’
| is coming to an end. This week both parties presented their closing
| statements to the court. Time for us to weigh up developments so far and look
| forward to the verdict.
|
| king kong defenseYesterday the prosecutor called for jailtime, while the
| prosecution presented its closing statements. Today the defense had its say
| and the trial officially ended.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/the-pirate-bay-innocent-or-guilty-090303/

Recent:

UK.gov 'to create anti-net piracy agency'

,----[ Quote ]
| Following its failure to foster voluntary solution between ISPs and rights
| holders, the government will create a new agency and regulations to clamp
| down on copyright infringement via peer-to-peer networks, it's reported
| today.
|
| A proposal for a body called the Rights Agency will be at the centre of
| anti-internet piracy measures, according to the Financial Times, which cited
| sources who had read a draft of Lord Carter's report on Digital Britain. The
| Rights Agency will be introduced alongside a new code of practice for ISPs
| and rights holders, to be overseen by Ofcom, according to the leaked draft.
| The final report is due out by the end of this month.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/01/16/carter_anti_piracy_agency/

Jono Bacon announces CC-licensed book project

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.ars/2009/01/15/jono-bacon-announces-cc-licensed-book-project