[News] British Government Embraces Free Software (AGPL) for ConsultationXML

ConsultationXML is now Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| We’re terribly, fantastically pleased to announce that after a bit of
| wrangling, Steph Gray and I are able to release ConsultationXML as open
| source software under the GNU Affero license. The recent report on open
| source software in Government hinted that departments ought to try to release
| source code for the software they commission, and we’re delighted to be (we
| think!) the first to do so.
`----

http://www.thedextrousweb.com/2009/02/consultationxml-is-now-open-source/

Recent:

The great British open-source arms race

,----[ Quote ]
| Politicians of all stripes seem to be espousing open source, but that bluster
| must be turned into action — and soon, says Mark Taylor.
|
| First, shadow chancellor George Osborne advocates open source. Now minister
| for digital engagement Tom Watson promises to use more open-source software,
| if circumstances permit. The UK public sector just got interesting again.
`----

http://resources.zdnet.co.uk/articles/comment/0,1000002985,39619198,00.htm

Tories demand publication of Trading Funds review, back free data principles

,----[ Quote ]
| The Conservative Party is demanding that the government publishes the Trading
| Funds Review, while also giving its backing to the concept of free data -
| although it hasn’t quite gone as far as backing the entire principles of the
| Free Our Data campaign.
`----

http://www.laquadrature.net/en/copyright-dogmatism-temporarily-kicked-out-european-parliament

Why protesters are now stalkers

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the most heartbreaking articles I have ever read was a response column
| published recently in the Guardian. Edward Countryman explained that he was
| writing on behalf of his wife, Evonne Powell-Von Heussen, "who could not bear
| to face" the unintended consequences of the thing she had created.
`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/feb/05/anti-stalking-liberty-central

Filming an illegal event is… illegal?

,----[ Quote ]
| Will recording or filming of events which are considered illegal in law now
| itself be considered illegal? This is what the Home Affairs Ministry seems to
| propose to amendments of the Films Act.
`----

http://theonlinecitizen.com/archives/5322

UK Citizens Worked Up About Broad And Vague Obscenity Law

,----[ Quote ]
| I have to admit that I've never quite understood the point of any sort of
| obscenity laws. Perhaps it's just my inner-libertarian, but why should the
| government be outlawing what people look at -- especially when it comes to
| such a subjective standard as "obscenity." Over in the UK, many people are up
| in arms over a new pornography law that is so broad and so vague that it
| could outlaw certain Batman comics, among other things.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090129/0308123565.shtml

Defining the Limits of Digital Britain

,----[ Quote ]