[News] Ubuntu Linux a Massive Success on Sub-notebooks

First 5 minutes impressions Asus Eee Pc 901 and Ubuntu 9.04 alpha 5

,----[ Quote ]
| For a small device i always wanted, with long battery life (4,5 to 5 hours)
| and with an Ubuntu experience I never had before, I think these 305 USD are
| the best investment I ever made in a computing device. I would not dare
| calling it a netbook, because i think it can do way more than just browsing
| the net.
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10012258o-2000637757b,00.htm

Ubuntu now offering mainline kernel builds

,----[ Quote ]
| The Ubuntu Kernel Team is pleased to announce the availability of mainline
| kernel builds for testing [1].  This will allow users to run the unmodified
| upstream vanilla kernel.  This can be useful for verifying fixes upstream,
| testing for regressions introduced by Ubuntu specific changes, or confirming
| bugs exist upstream and subsequently help to report bugs upstream.
`----

http://lwn.net/Articles/321473/

The Microsoft shillville at IDC is spreading lies at the moment, citing the
US-only figures from puppet NPD (see links below). Not surprisingly, the lies
come from Microsoft shill Preston Gralla who refuses to say that it refers to
one region where Linux adoption is also the lowest.

GNU/Linux runs on 30%-40% of sub-notebooks.

Recent:

One Third of Dell Inspiron Mini 9s Sold Run Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell attributes part of the Linux growth to competitive pricing on the Ubuntu
| SKUs. “When you look at the sweet spot for this category it is price
| sensitivity, and Linux enabled us to offer a lower price entry point,” added
| Dell senior product manager John New.
`----

http://blog.laptopmag.com/one-third-of-dell-inspiron-mini-9s-sold-run-linux

Netbooks Open Linux Window at BETT

,----[ Quote ]
| On the same stand a large screen showed off the design appeal of the latest
| Ubuntu. This includes multiple windows rotating or rescaling. As this is
| better understood some Netbook users may return to Linux. Asustek Chairman
| Jonney Shih has predicted that about 60 percent of Eee PCs to be shipped in
| 2009 will have Windows XP.
`----

http://english.ohmynews.com/ArticleView/article_view.asp?menu=A11100&no=384681&rel_no=1&back_url=

Related:

Sustainable computing for the masses

,----[ Quote ]
| Dukker says about 40 per cent of NComputing's customers have chosen Linux
|                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| (the company uses Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora or SuSE) and the remainder have gone
| with Windows on the host. He is careful to specify that he has no religion
| when it comes to the operating system - it is entirely the buyer's choice.
| (Of course, if he were not offering the GNU/Linux option, then he wouldn't
| have got a run here).
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/17254/1090/

Zune doesn't shake iPod's market lead
     ^^^^^^^

,----[ Quote ]
| 'All in all, that's a pretty good performance,'' said Stephen Baker,
| an analyst with Reston, Va.-based NPD.
|                                   ^^^
`----

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/business/technology/16263552.htm

Zune does a bit better than expected

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite getting a hammering in the tech press, Microsoft's Zune has
| had respectable sales last month according to data from market
| research firm NPD Group.
|               ^^^

Microsoft's Xbox 360 US sales-NPD story withdrawn
                              ^^^

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20061208:MTFH45656_2006-12-08_01-12-52_N07221320&type=comktNews&rpc=44