[News] GNU/Linux Sub-notebooks Good for Lots of Things Owing to Versatility

An Eee PC in Every Room? Twenty Uses for Netbooks in Your Home

,----[ Quote ]
| Here's what I'd do (most of these things require you to disable the Eee PC's
| screensaver, which you can do quite easily):
|
|    1. Watch TV.  The main purpose of our Eee PC right now is to use it as a
|    very portable television.  We watch Hulu mostly, as well as South Park
|    when a new episode comes out. We originally bought the Eee PC because we
|    lost our DirecTV (neighbor's trees in the way) and we didn't want to have
|    to run a cable to the far room, so we just set up the Eee PC in that room
|    and streamed content from Hulu.  We love it.  But you need a set of cheap
|    speakers plugged into the Eee PC to really get sound.  Otherwise it works
|    great. My wife isn't a very confident computer user so I built her an easy
|    menu of the sources of entertainment. (Yes, Flash for Hulu and YouTube
|    runs fine on the Eee PC out-of-the-box.) Plus, the Eee PC has a port to
|    connect to a larger monitor or TV (VGA).
|
|    2. Listen to streaming music. Pandora works on the Eee PC. If you haven't
|    used Pandora, you should really give it a try. It is a free streaming
|    music service where you can construct your own radio station of cool
|    songs. You can pick a number of your favorite artists and then it will
|    play music that is similar to those artists (as well as the artists
|    themselves). It can go for hours with enjoyable tunes, and if you don't
|    like something, you can vote it down and it will jump to the next song.
`----

http://holistic-economy.blogspot.com/2009/02/eee-pc-in-every-room-twenty-uses-for.html

Recent:

One Third of Dell Inspiron Mini 9s Sold Run Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell attributes part of the Linux growth to competitive pricing on the Ubuntu
| SKUs. “When you look at the sweet spot for this category it is price
| sensitivity, and Linux enabled us to offer a lower price entry point,” added
| Dell senior product manager John New.
`----

http://blog.laptopmag.com/one-third-of-dell-inspiron-mini-9s-sold-run-linux

Netbooks Open Linux Window at BETT

,----[ Quote ]
| On the same stand a large screen showed off the design appeal of the latest
| Ubuntu. This includes multiple windows rotating or rescaling. As this is
| better understood some Netbook users may return to Linux. Asustek Chairman
| Jonney Shih has predicted that about 60 percent of Eee PCs to be shipped in
| 2009 will have Windows XP.
`----

http://english.ohmynews.com/ArticleView/article_view.asp?menu=A11100&no=384681&rel_no=1&back_url=

Netbook Sales Soar in Europe

,----[ Quote ]
| Adoption of non-Windows operating systems, Linux mainly, is stronger there
| than the United States.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/desktop_mobile/netbook_sales_soar_in_europe.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

Future of Linux desktop: co-Linux on Android

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.trendcaller.com/2009/02/future-of-linux-desktop-co-linux-on.html